What's new

Circulation by years

scotty1418

Full Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
After a while of just searching for silver (with low/average results) I started working on a set just to make it more interesting for me. Now I'm down to just 4-5 business strikes for a full set (in near/BU condition) before I concentrate on proofs.

It's very interesting to me when I see different patterns of wear based on different years. For example, there are a ton of 71-74s in great condition, however later 70s are pretty beat up. The early 80s aren't too bad to find in nice condition however 84-87 is quite tough. Then I see a ton of the early 90s coins in heavy circulated shape.

Has anyone had similar observations. I would surmise from this that it appears there is an ebb and flow with the half in regard to patterns of circulation. Sometimes it gets popular/more use, other times no one really cares about them.

I can't for the life of me find a nice shape '84 though - they all seem to have any hair details completely wiped clean.
 
Upvote 0
I think the 1971 - 1974 coins in good condition is because there were so many of them. many sat in vaults and were not circulated. Same with 2001. I get brand new rolls all the time. rolls with the metal slivers still clinging ot the coins, and the coins all locked together as brand new. Never opened before. From 2001 to 2009.

I think the same happened to 1971-1974. many were not opened for a decade or more.
 
Scotty

When I first started doing this a couple of years back I wanted to put a roll set of AU half dollars.

It took me over a year to complete the business strikes. Doing over 10,000 coins a week.

I just completed a roll of ea. 87 P&D NIFC and quickly filled rolls of the latest NIFC's 2001 too Date.

I have actually put together a nice set of clad proofs and have nearly a roll of some Years like 1976 Over 200 proofs at this point.

I noticed the nice heavy details on the early 70's ans some of the seem almost proof like. I have noticed subtle changes in the design and depth of the stamping. Over the years

It seems the newer halves are much thinner beginning around 1995. and the strikes are light and details washed out. The last heavy detail year seems to be late 80's early 90's

Also some years actally have a different tone (sound) to them. I sometimes have to do a double take when listening to the coins when I drop them into my dump bag, because they almost sound silver.......

I had trouble filling the mid 80's out.

But I do have a roll of every year and mintmark in AU condition. I still cherrypick when searching and set them aside to compare to what I already have so I can improve upon what I have already compleated.

Mojo
 
Thanks for the feedback.

Did they start in on the extra detailed hair version in '91?

That's pretty neat to have basically 20 full sets!

Do you even have a roll of 1970's?

Scott
 
scotty1418 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Did they start in on the extra detailed hair version in '91?

That's pretty neat to have basically 20 full sets!

Do you even have a roll of 1970's?

Scott

Well of course not. I do have a roll of every copper clad. 1971 up. as a result of this endless search.

I have only netted 3 1970D's in the 3 years of searching And I would say that I have had easily 1 Million Half dollar coins pass thru my hands.

Other Stats. Found while searching Halves

7 Barber Halves Found in the wild
4 coins short of compleating my Littleton "Franklin" book..... Missing 48P,49D,49S & 58P
2 coins short of compleating my Littleton "Liberty Walking Half Dollar 1937-1947 " book..... Missing 37D & 46D
50 Magic coins
20 Double stamped 1960-1980 & 85 electroplated Novelty JFK's
3 clipped Planchets
12 1982 No FG
1 1974D DDE
Numerous other Foreign including
6 Silver Canadian Halves
6 Balboas
at least 30 $2 Canadian coins

Mojo
 

Attachments

  • engpenny.webp
    engpenny.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 1939netapii.webp
    1939netapii.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 177
  • foundinhalfrolls.webp
    foundinhalfrolls.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 181
  • foundinhalfrolls.webp
    foundinhalfrolls.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 169
  • engpenny.webp
    engpenny.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 1939netapii.webp
    1939netapii.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 182
more
 

Attachments

  • 86comm.webp
    86comm.webp
    44 KB · Views: 176
  • 1970D.webp
    1970D.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 186
  • barbers.webp
    barbers.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 86comm.webp
    86comm.webp
    44 KB · Views: 169
  • 1970D.webp
    1970D.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 171
  • barbers.webp
    barbers.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 162
Just last week My 7th Barber + more junk
 

Attachments

  • overdate.webp
    overdate.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 1900_o_barber_2.webp
    1900_o_barber_2.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 175
  • proof.webp
    proof.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 1900_o_barber_2.webp
    1900_o_barber_2.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 176
  • overdate.webp
    overdate.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 162
I just recently started setting aside all the better grade halves that I sort through. I have almost $500 worth of better grade halves set aside to make sets out of.

The Trezurhunter.
 
Has anyone come across 2009's in circulation yet?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom