Civil War Artifact?? found by my little girl.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My six year old daughter found this today in a rock house that I have found old coins in, including one from 1784. There was Civil War activity in the area where this was found. Any ideas?

hallie ball 2.gifHallie ball.gif

Upvote 0
Maybe, what is it made of?? It looks like it had some weight function to me

Thanks for the reply ynpto. It's iron. What do you mean by weight function?

Maybe some sort of early fishing weight or a scale weight of some sort. It's a cool find.

Too small for a stand of grape, but it does look like canister. Keep in mind that, where there's one of those, there are probably many, many more. Go get'em!

cool find your daughter has quite the talent!

There are literally millions of metal balls which have nothing to do with artillery. The best way to tell with certainty whether it is an artillery ball or not is to super-precisely measure its diameter and weight.
1- For diameter, use a Digital Caliper, which measures in hundredths-of-an-inch. For weight, use a precision Postal Shipping scale, which measures in tenths-of-an-ounce. SolidShotEssentialsMod
2- Then, compare the iron ball's diameter-&-weight measurements with the ones for artillery balls (cannonballs, grapeshot balls, and canister-balls) in the Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" charts. It tells the exact diameter and weight of USA, CSA, British, and French artillery balls used in the US from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War.
www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. She is still tickled she found this and I've never found one. I'm putting it in a display case with the caption "found by Hallie."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back