What's new

civil war camp find...buttplate??

skateandcreate

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
241
Golden Thread
0
Location
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
all found at a civil war camp ... top item appears to be a rifle buttplate? also have no idea what the twisted item may be. any ideas will help :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • buttp.webp
    buttp.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 602
  • buttpla.webp
    buttpla.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 610
a little more info...camp was an african american union camp so supplies may not have been up to par with other regiments. plate is wider at one end than the other and has two screw holes (screws still attatched)
 
Upvote 0
Doesn't really look like a buttplate, what size is it?
 
Upvote 0
The twisted thing is a musket worm. It goes on the end of a ramrod to remove cleaning patches. The other item looks a bit small to be a buttplate.
 
Upvote 0
Doesn't look like a butt plate to me. That being said, I don't know what it is. Another view (flat side) wouldn't hurt. I'll also have to respectfully disagree in the musket worm id I (for one thing, worms are iron) though I don't know what it is either.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry been busy ...updated pics
 

Attachments

  • what\'sit1.webp
    what\'sit1.webp
    96.5 KB · Views: 560
  • what\'sit2.webp
    what\'sit2.webp
    82.2 KB · Views: 609
  • what\'sit3.webp
    what\'sit3.webp
    111.6 KB · Views: 608
  • what\'sit4.webp
    what\'sit4.webp
    104.4 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Fairly certain now that the one is not a buttplate but still have no idea on the other item
 
Upvote 0
After seeing the new pics, I agree it is not a musket worm. Sorry for the bad call.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom