civil war cannonball

cobra71

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if somebody could give me any information on this cannonball.I dug it up in 2000 at the house i bought in wilkes county north carolina,it has the seam around it with 2 plugs and measures about 5 inches across.i dont have a scale to weigh it.any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• SAM_1192.JPG
    SAM_1192.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 163

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome

I'm guessing Mill Ball on this one, but your get the answer pretty soon.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cobra71 wrote:
> I was just wondering if somebody could give me any information on this cannonball. [...] It
> has the seam around it with 2 plugs and measures about 5 inches across.

First... welcome to TreasureNet! :) To learn my credentials for answering your info-request, go to my Profile and click on "About me." Sorry to have to say, it is definitely not a cannonball. There were no 5"-diameter cannonballs with two "plugs." Also, Mill-Balls have no need for "plugs." It is most probably either a machinery counterweight ball or a Sports Shot Put ball ...but to be more specific than that, I'll need to know the ball's super-precise diameter AND weight measurements. SolidShotEssentialsMod

If you don't want to go to that much effort, take it to a grocery-store and weigh it on a Vegetables scale in the Produce department.

I should mention, that ball doesn't look rust-concreted enough (without cleaning) to have been in the ground for well-over 100 years. Therefore, it is probably made of steel rather than cast-iron. There is no record of steel cannonballs ever having been used in America (just cast-iron ones).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions