Civil War Geek

Aug 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,

I found an old knapsack that appears to be an original from the Civil War. Any opinions, based on your experience and knowledge? I'd love any feedback.

Real or Fake?

-Civil War Geek
Fl.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 4.JPG

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Far out of my league to make the call but the the straps IMO do have the correct "patina"? But as I said do not give my opinion much credit there are far better civil war experts on this site than me, but it is definitely old, and they made versions of the "Knapp Sack" long after the civil war.

Most typical characteristics including (national guard) - Below.

Knapsack.

To be made of black enameled leather, sixteen inches wide, twelve and one-half inches high, and three and three-quarter inches deep; the corners to be bound with the same leather; the inside flaps to be of black glazed twilled muslin; two plain black leather straps to be fastened at the inside top of knapsack, one and one-quarter inches wide, to be buckled at bottom; shoulder straps of the same width to be fastened at center of inside knapsack by four copper rivets; the upper portion of the shoulder straps to be fifteen inches long, with two holes to receive brass stud; the right lower strap to be fourteen inches long, to fasten at the bottom with buckle; he breast strap to be seventeen inches long and three-quarters of an inch wide, to fasten on each end by brass stud, and connect in the center by buckle; three straps on top of knapsack, three-quarters of an inch wide, to buckle around the overcoat when rolled; a white painted number 7 on the outside, three and one half inches in length.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely very old, but I don't know enough to make a call on authenticity. There are people on here that will know the answer though.

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hooks look right !I would say you have something there.

Upvote 0

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After comparing to the other pics I vote yes authentic... whats date of the newspaper??? 1860 by any chance lol.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Specifically, it is a US Army Model-1864 "softpack" knapsack. Prices of those vary widely, according to factors such as condition of the leather straps, the stitching, and the tarred-canvas fabric... and "completeness" (missing some of its hooks or buckles, etc, or not), and where you're trying to sell it (Ebay, or a civil war relic show, or an antique-shop). In recent years I've seen nice-condition, fully-complete ones sell for $100-$150. Of course, you'll see some sellers asking higher prices, but that doesn't mean somebody's going to actually pay the higher price.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions