Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter looks like it might be here to stay for a while. At home I have 4 inches of snow and we had freezing rain last night so I decided to go down the mountain to the east to find better conditions. It was still 28 degrees and raining, but there was only an inch and a half of snow so I went back to school to see what else would turn up. I did a wandering search and did more cherry-picking than usual. I didn’t want to work the grid for fear I might miss the deeper ones because my coil was not on the ground like normal. My first target was a penny. The second was the Dream Machine token and the third was the civil war bullet (10 inches away from the building only about an inch deep). (The ground was bare in close to the building, but snow covered everything else)

F0F15099-5ADB-4E41-A5F8-922AC7CB90D0.jpeg

DFEF01A2-B6BE-48E1-97DE-A3119E156C15.jpeg

I only detect for 3.5 hours today. My fingers got numb and I had to stop and warm them up and switch to mittens to prevent frostbite. So I chose my targets a little more carefully because recovery is more difficult in the snow with mittens on. The CZ21 led me to 47 coins with a face value of $1.50, a Dream Machine token (game room at the local mall that closed 20 years ago), a key, a .58 caliber minie ball (civil,war bullet number 10 from here), a bank token, a great seal military button, 2 tabs, a little can slaw and aluminum bottle caps.

EA697BFC-6088-4FAA-86E5-B99EBC797F1F.jpeg

The bank token has a pre nazi swastika (good luck symbol) and reads

“DAYTON’S LARGEST BANK / THE DAYTON SAVINGS & TRUST CO DAYTON OHIO / WE WILL ACCEPT ONE OF THESE COINS DURING 1927 AS 50 c IN OPENING A NEW SAVINGS ACCOUNT OR TOWARD THE RENTAL OF A NEW SAFE DEPOSIT BOX”. It’s nice that it has a date on it. It is unfortunate that I scraped it with my trowel during recovery. The ground here is rocky in spots and sometimes you get careless when you think you have another bottle cap or big piece of an aluminum can. :BangHead:

AA5469C6-B69F-4F5E-8516-A541A4C227A7.jpeg

78A872E0-8D00-4A30-85AE-EE2EA5908032.jpeg

The button is mashed front and back like it was squeezed between two things with a straight edge, but there is a little gilt showing. It has a WATERBURY BUTTON CO. CONN. backmark so it is pre 1965. Maybe WW2 or Korean War.

29386FDA-6952-4D6E-8498-07CD17EDD958.jpeg

4B2E0219-71B7-405F-90ED-F92F5619A275.jpeg

So a good short hunt. With high temperatures in the low 20 tomorrow and mid teens on Tuesday this might be my only hunt this week. Glad I was able to get out and bring home some history. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter looks like it might be here to stay for a while. At home I have 4 inches of snow and we had freezing rain last night so I decided to go down the mountain to the east to find better conditions. It was still 28 degrees and raining, but there was only an inch and a half of snow so I went back to school to see what else would turn up. I did a wandering search and did more cherry-picking than usual. I didn’t want to work the grid for fear I might miss the deeper ones because my coil was not on the ground like normal. My first target was a penny. The second was the Dream Machine token and the third was the civil war bullet (10 inches away from the building only about an inch deep). (The ground was bare in close to the building, but snow covered everything else)

View attachment 2002353
View attachment 2002352

I only detect for 3.5 hours today. My fingers got numb and I had to stop and warm them up and switch to mittens to prevent frostbite. So I chose my targets a little more carefully because recovery is more difficult in the snow with mittens on. The CZ21 led me to 47 coins with a face value of $1.50, a Dream Machine token (game room at the local mall that closed 20 years ago), a key, a .58 caliber minie ball (civil,war bullet number 10 from here), a bank token, a great seal military button, 2 tabs, a little can slaw and aluminum bottle caps.

View attachment 2002354

“DAYTON’S LARGEST BANK / THE DAYTON SAVINGS & TRUST CO DAYTON OHIO / WE WILL ACCEPT ONE OF THESE COINS DURING 1927 AS 50 c IN OPENING A NEW SAVINGS ACCOUNT OR TOWARD THE RENTAL OF A NEW SAFE DEPOSIT BOX”. It’s nice that it has a date on it. It is unfortunate that I scraped it with my trowel during recovery. The ground here is rocky in spots and sometimes you get careless when you think you have another bottle cap or big piece of an aluminum can. :BangHead:

View attachment 2002351
View attachment 2002355

The button is mashed front and back like it was squeezed between two things with a straight edge, but there is a little gilt showing. It has a WATERBURY BUTTON CO. CONN. backmark so it is pre 1965. Maybe WW2 or Korean War.

View attachment 2002356
View attachment 2002357

So a good short hunt. With high temperatures in the low 20 tomorrow and mid teens on Tuesday this might be my only hunt this week. Glad I was able to get out and bring home some history. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are dedicated!! I absolutely love that token! Great finds!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2002353
View attachment 2002352

View attachment 2002354

View attachment 2002351
View attachment 2002355

View attachment 2002356
View attachment 2002357

The history surrounding the pre Nazi token is fascinating. I had no idea these existed... Congratulations!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try neoprene fishing gloves. Toasty warm, waterproof, easy to dig in. Rinses off easy too. It was 30 here today and they worked great. No snow though.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try neoprene fishing gloves. Toasty warm, waterproof, easy to dig in. Rinses off easy too. It was 30 here today and they worked great. No snow though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The history surrounding the pre Nazi token is fascinating. I had no idea these existed... Congratulations!
I have been to India and Nepal and the symbol is on most of the older temples and monuments. For over a thousand years it was used as a positive thing until the nazis turned it into a symbol of prejudice and hate. stay Safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread