What's new

Civil war medallion? ID needed

Tigerdude

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Messages
433
Reaction score
1,177
Golden Thread
0
Location
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0263.webpFound this medallion today along with a few minie balls. Need identification please. IMG_0259.webp better pics at post 14
 
Last edited:
Upvote 15
I found it in a field with almost zero trash. I also found 3 minie balls and a sharps. It's a hunk of metal for sure. I think it's the official seal of army but I'm not sure. There is no writing. It's about the size and weight of a silver dollar. It rang a strong 99 on my detector. I thought for sure I had a plate or buckle
 
I believe you'll find that the Great Seal means that your find must be 1902 or sooner. I'll be interested to learn what it is exactly. Congrats on a nice recovery.
 
No help with ID but congrats on a nice find
 
Nice find and pretty large at that, even if not Civil War period. :icon_thumright:
 
That is the GREAT seal that the US Army went too in 1902
 
Thanks for the info. I thought it was civil war era. I guess it could be a service medal but .as mentioned before, it has no writing at all nor do I see where it could attach to a ribbon or anything else.
 
It's a Great Seal button or pin. Show us the back, to determine.
 
The top picture in my original post is the reverse. You can see the indenture. I would guess it was stamped. Like I said before, it's as heavy as a silver dollar . Let me know if you want a better picture and I'll try
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom