JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is even close to what I think it is I'm extremely happy with this. If it is related to someone that was in the Civil War this is just going to be so cool and being I'm in California to find something like this I just am at a loss of words. For others it may not be much but the history behind it just is something that makes me incredibly excited it may have no value but it if it is what I'm thinking something I will highly value. Let me know what you guys think. mir_20210214_180233.jpg mir_20210214_180136.jpg mir_20210214_180113.jpg mir_20210214_180044.jpg mir_20210214_175850.jpg

Upvote 19

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work in California every thing is frozen over here. Nice find

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work in California every thing is frozen over here. Nice find
Definitely didn't expect finding something like this here on my families property had two surprise finds on this property in the last few days the gold ring I posted and then this today. Running my At Pro on Zero mode and iron discrimination off really changed things for me

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. Good for you on a very nice GAR memorabilia. Just awesome

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. Good for you on a very nice GAR memorabilia. Just awesome
I'm weird I found a gold ring a few days ago and this for some reason is more exciting for me than the ring. Just the thought that a civil war veteran probably own this just is amazing to me. Just thrilled with it. Maybe odd but I guess that's just me.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure a veteran owned it and I would rather find something like that than a ring or an old coin anyday......

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure a veteran owned it and I would rather find something like that than a ring or an old coin anyday......
Makes me wonder about whom lived in the house that existed in the back of my families property. I can find no record of it but have heard stories of it burning down. Just lore past to my grandparents when they bought this property. I thought it was tall tales up until my metal detector found the old well and lots of relics keep coming up and tons of what looks like a cast iron stove shards. I almost wonder if some sort of furnace or something blew up and there are shard of it everywhere. It seemed like it was a homestead so I can't find records of it so makes it fun detecting the area trying to get some clue of how old it was and to whom lived there.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way how do I go about preservation when it comes to an item like this? Cleaning I'm sure is a no no with something like this. I'd like to get properly protected. Again I know it probably has no value but I respect a civil war veteran probably owned it so that history is important to me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wonder about whom lived in the house that existed in the back of my families property. I can find no record of it but have heard stories of it burning down. Just lore past to my grandparents when they bought this property. I thought it was tall tales up until my metal detector found the old well and lots of relics keep coming up and tons of what looks like a cast iron stove shards. I almost wonder if some sort of furnace or something blew up and there are shard of it everywhere. It seemed like it was a homestead so I can't find records of it so makes it fun detecting the area trying to get some clue of how old it was and to whom lived there.
Firstly congrats on the CW related item, very cool.

Although house fires were very common, it may also have been intentional when it came to it's natural end. Quick way of clearing it.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find - it's the only one I ever remember seeing posted - congrats ! :occasion14:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to conservation, I'm a big advocate of mineral oil. Soak your find for at least a few days, maybe a week, than try some light brushing with a soft bristle tooth brush or a tooth pick to remove any detritus. Ir the back is plain, experiment with that side first; of course, satisfactory results are not guaranteed, but I've had far more success than failure over the years. Nice find.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find and, as you say, it's value is in it's history.

This one sold on eBay for $13.50 in 2012

GAR.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice GAR piece :thumbsup:
I would leave it as it is. No further conservation is necessary.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, could date from late 1860’s to the 1940’s. At least three were held in California, LA and San Francisco.
The GAR held reunions and encampments up until at least 1949. I live in a GAR founded city in NW Florida that held reunions till the 1930’s. Here’s a link to some of the major gatherings.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/gar/national/natlist.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, could date from late 1860’s to the 1940’s. At least three were held in California, LA and San Francisco.
The GAR held reunions and encampments up until at least 1949. I live in a GAR founded city in NW Florida that held reunions till the 1930’s. Here’s a link to some of the major gatherings.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/gar/national/natlist.html
Thank you for the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread