What's new

Civil War?

eagles9259

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT
I found the following items in an area where I've found a number of civil war bullets. The green thing was down a ways, so I would think it was the same era and probably copper due to the oxidation. The other stirrup-looking thing was very close to the top, so it may be newer.
Thanks,
Matt
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0226.webp
    DSCN0226.webp
    6 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN0228.webp
    DSCN0228.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN0230.webp
    DSCN0230.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0229.webp
    DSCN0229.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 257
The crusty item looks like it may be the front part of a saddle. I will post a picture of one I found. They were used for pulling or something and the green piece might be part of a sword guard. Could you post a couple more pictures?
 

Attachments

  • ebay 020.webp
    ebay 020.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 308
  • ebay 020.webp
    ebay 020.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
DirtyMike is right on both pieces :hello2: both are civil war period
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I did some looking around and you are right on both. I appreciate the help. Now I need to figure out what to put them in.
Matt
 
Upvote 0
Mike,your piece isnt a saddle per se,it is part of a harness for pulling a carriage.The hook at the top was not a "load" point for pulling,it is way too light weight.I dug the exact piece years ago,and too thought it was a riding saddle and the rings were gun holsters....I was corrected by a fellow that was actually using one on a horse driven cart at a local state park.The rings were actually rein guides.
 
Upvote 0
The first picture looks like a protractor, used with maps. How big is it?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom