DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG 003.JPG I have seen a example of the one in the middle in a book.But the two on the ends,I don't know.Seems like they have similar designs ,looks like could have been for the same purpose.If not, what could they be?

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Below is a pic of a Civil War water purifier. The strainer looks like the one you have in the top center. Several years ago, I was MD-ing in a CW camp and found one that still had the rubber hose to it. The strainer on mine is pewter.

Did you dig all of these in the same area?

Neat finds :)
Breezie

WaterPure.jpg
CWPurifier.jpg

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing on the left looks like the top of a whale oil lamp. Hard to tell from those pics though.

With out doubt that is exactly what it is
mMl6dn4HmXYnF3b9SVXsxSw.jpg

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the second pic showing the back is there a post or shaft in the center of it? If so I think it's a pasta die. HH
BK

Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whale oil lamp item helps me, because I found the same thing last year and I wasn't sure what it was. It went to my bucket of questionable items.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice example breezie.Is that the one you found?That is pretty neat.I found the two on the right in the same place,the oil lamp peace somewhere else.Does anyone have any idea about the thing on the right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice example breezie.Is that the one you found?That is pretty neat.I found the two on the right in the same place,the oil lamp peace somewhere else.Does anyone have any idea about the thing on the right?

Thanks! The one I found is shown with the ruler.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! The one I found is shown with the ruler.)
Breezie
That is a very neat peace. Hard to find civil war stuff in that kind of shape."I am assuming civil war".I mean that example is pretty much complete

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very neat peace. Hard to find civil war stuff in that kind of shape."I am assuming civil war".I mean that example is pretty much complete

When I found it, I didn't know what it was. Some one gave me the name/email address of a Civil War 'authority' and below is the email he sent to me:

The piece with the rubber tubing is part of a filter canteen. The metal is almost certainly pewter, as pewter was a commonly used metal for these. One end of the tube would be put into the water source and the water would pass through the tube past a filter device that contained a piece of felt or sponge and on into the canteen. It’s very crude and not very effective except for larger pieces of vegetation, etc. that might be in the water. There were a number of patents issued for filter canteens and most utilized such a contraption of rubber tubing, pewter filter devices, and usually two spouts on the body of the canteen itself.

As far as the rubber tubing is concerned, rubber decomposes very slowly. Some scientists say a rubber tire in a landfield can take centuries to decompose, which is one reason landscapers use 'rubber mulch.' Living in NC, I've been through many hurricanes. Several years ago, I happened to get caught on the coast during Hurricane Dennis, and the walk on the beach the day after was unreal. I've never seen so many rubber tires washed up on the beach. They all looked like regular used tires even though they had been submerged in the ocean for upteen years.

Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,you guys gettum pretty bad down there.I bet it was a hell of a sight.I bet that's what you were out there doing, hunting after that storm:weather_cloudy:thanks for the history lesson!.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,you guys gettum pretty bad down there.I bet it was a hell of a sight.I bet that's what you were out there doing, hunting after that storm:weather_cloudy:thanks for the history lesson!.

We went to the beach for the weekend because the weatherman said the hurricane was past NC and headed up the coastline. On Saturday, it turned around and slammed the NC coast, and there was not enough time for us to leave. We were 2 blocks from the ocean and only 1/2 block from the Sound. It was scary especially with the electricity out, and it was getting on to dark-thirty. BUT, the next morning was beautiful, calm, sunny, and the MD-ing was great! Of course there was a lot of trash; big and little trash including partial decks from people's homes.

Breezie

Upvote 0

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found it, I didn't know what it was. Some one gave me the name/email address of a Civil War 'authority' and below is the email he sent to me:

The piece with the rubber tubing is part of a filter canteen. The metal is almost certainly pewter, as pewter was a commonly used metal for these. One end of the tube would be put into the water source and the water would pass through the tube past a filter device that contained a piece of felt or sponge and on into the canteen. It’s very crude and not very effective except for larger pieces of vegetation, etc. that might be in the water. There were a number of patents issued for filter canteens and most utilized such a contraption of rubber tubing, pewter filter devices, and usually two spouts on the body of the canteen itself.

As far as the rubber tubing is concerned, rubber decomposes very slowly. Some scientists say a rubber tire in a landfield can take centuries to decompose, which is one reason landscapers use 'rubber mulch.' Living in NC, I've been through many hurricanes. Several years ago, I happened to get caught on the coast during Hurricane Dennis, and the walk on the beach the day after was unreal. I've never seen so many rubber tires washed up on the beach. They all looked like regular used tires even though they had been submerged in the ocean for upteen years.

Breezie
Yeah Breezie, Those tires were part of our state's early artificial reef program. Every time we get a coastal storm down here, they litter the beach. 2 weekends ago, I was hunting Atlantic Beach, and saw at least 20. You are right, they look pretty much the same shape as the day they were sunk out in the ocean!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Breezie, Those tires were part of our state's early artificial reef program. Every time we get a coastal storm down here, they litter the beach. 2 weekends ago, I was hunting Atlantic Beach, and saw at least 20. You are right, they look pretty much the same shape as the day they were sunk out in the ocean!

Yeppers, that's right, and the tires on dock edges look the same too. I was at E.I. during that particular hurricane.

Breezie

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Maybe a shaker top? Ive seen many pewter shaker tops with that star pattern.
The pattern on the item found does not match the pattern in the pic Breezie posted.
g393.jpg

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war water purifiers!?? These things including Breezie's are found in pump sprayers. They aren't going to purify anything. If you look inside the tank of older galvanized steel pump sprayers you will find identical items. The weight of them keeps the rubber tube at the bottom of the tank and keeps rust and small particles from going up the hose and clogging the nozzle. There are often plastic ones in your car's windshield washer tank and the cheap plastic modern pump sprayers. There are still metal ones, usually brass, in modern quality made pump sprayers. Modern tires aren't made from pure rubber, they are mixed with plastics and other agents for toughness and longevity. Pure rubber such as is used in surgical tubing is fairly unstable and deteriorates just sitting around. If you remember when tires had inner tubes, you should remember that the inner tubes would deteriorate rather quickly, and to this day the tire valve stems on cars need to be replaced every so often because the rubber rots. I doubt that any early rubber items would last out in the elements for a hundred years. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but c'mon folks this isn't Savage diggers, let's get some logic here.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Civil war water purifiers!?? These things including Breezie's are found in pump sprayers. They aren't going to purify anything. If you look inside the tank of older galvanized steel pump sprayers you will find identical items. The weight of them keeps the rubber tube at the bottom of the tank and keeps rust and small particles from going up the hose and clogging the nozzle. There are often plastic ones in your car's windshield washer tank and the cheap plastic modern pump sprayers. There are still metal ones, usually brass, in modern quality made pump sprayers. Modern tires aren't made from pure rubber, they are mixed with plastics and other agents for toughness and longevity. Pure rubber such as is used in surgical tubing is fairly unstable and deteriorates just sitting around. If you remember when tires had inner tubes, you should remember that the inner tubes would deteriorate rather quickly, and to this day the tire valve stems on cars need to be replaced every so often because the rubber rots. I doubt that any early rubber items would last out in the elements for a hundred years. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but c'mon folks this isn't Savage diggers, let's get some logic here.

gunsil, would you please quit following me around, and if I say 'up,' you say 'down' in a condescending way or should I say with a negative attitude. Are you now a Civil War authority? According to your profile, you're a retired mechanic. As I said in the above post, I didn't know what the object was that I found, so I was directed to someone who is deemed as an expert in Civil War relics. Many detailed photos were viewed by this Civil War authority, and I did a copy/paste of the email I received. The expert said it was a canteen water purifier that removed large particles/vegetation. I posted the pic and email because of DigIron's title, which is Water Purifiers with a question mark. I have no idea if DigIron's finds(except for the whale oil lamp top)are water purifiers or not. I did; however, find a pic of a Civil War water purifier and posted it. I clicked like on Taz's salt shaker idea because that is a possibility, yet the OP's has a center post.

There are ways of disagreeing with people without coming across like a jackarse, which you seemed to have mastered well. I thought I had made myself clear to you on ModernMiner's post that I came to TNet to HELP people try to figure out what they have found. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong, but the purpose is to HELP, not to antagonize, to embarrass or to make fun of other's opinions. Here is the ModernMiner post to refresh your memory.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/396301-more-relics-old-house-4th-trip.html

You seem to have missed out on the fact that this forum is supposed to ENJOYABLE as well as educational. Go back and read all of the comments in this post. There is information as well as casual, enjoyable conversation with the exception of your post. Personally, I prefer education with a dash of Andy Griffith's Mayberry in opposed to rudeness.

Sincerely,
Breezie

Upvote 0

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a lot of things break down over time when exposed to the elements, and even when they are not. But sometimes, when conditions are right, things like paper,leather,cloth and rubber can be remarkably preserved. 001.JPG 002.JPG

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil, would you please quit following me around, and if I say 'up,' you say 'down' in a condescending way or should I say with a negative attitude. Are you now a Civil War authority? According to your profile, you're a retired mechanic. As I said in the above post, I didn't know what the object was that I found, so I was directed to someone who is deemed as an expert in Civil War relics. Many detailed photos were viewed by this Civil War authority, and I did a copy/paste of the email I received. The expert said it was a canteen water purifier that removed large particles/vegetation. I posted the pic and email because of DigIron's title, which is Water Purifiers with a question mark. I have no idea if DigIron's finds(except for the whale oil lamp top)are water purifiers or not. I did; however, find a pic of a Civil War water purifier and posted it. I clicked like on Taz's salt shaker idea because that is a possibility, yet the OP's has a center post.

There are ways of disagreeing with people without coming across like a jackarse, which you seemed to have mastered well. I thought I had made myself clear to you on ModernMiner's post that I came to TNet to HELP people try to figure out what they have found. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong, but the purpose is to HELP, not to antagonize, to embarrass or to make fun of other's opinions. Here is the ModernMiner post to refresh your memory.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/396301-more-relics-old-house-4th-trip.html

You seem to have missed out on the fact that this forum is supposed to ENJOYABLE as well as educational. Go back and read all of the comments in this post. There is information as well as casual, enjoyable conversation with the exception of your post. Personally, I prefer education with a dash of Andy Griffith's Mayberry in opposed to rudeness.

Sincerely,
Breezie

Dear madam, I assure you I am not "following you around". I read a lot of posts and like you I try to help in positive identification. I do not try to be abrasive or negative, but I do prefer facts to conjecture. You are a prolific poster, and quite helpful, and when I agree with you I never say a thing. When I believe you are incorrect I will say so, and I am not trying to be condescending when doing so. Does the fact that I was a mechanic mean I am stupid or incapable of knowledge in other areas?? The fact that you mention this as some type of criteria seems rather ludicrous, condescending, and mildly insulting. I am university educated in anthropology and attended with a scholarship. I started collecting civil war items at 13 in 1960. At one point I had perhaps the best and largest collection of civil war belt plates in the northeast. I had my first table selling antiques at a show at 13 also, and have been attending shows, trading, buying and selling ever since. This equates to 53 years of hands on knowledge of civil war and other antiques. My parents were antique collectors and my grandfather had many civil war guns and other things. I also have made fine silver and gold jewelry since the mid 70s and have worked with an antique jewelry store for years. I have been metal detecting since 1970, and have had the privilege of hunting many rev war sites here and in MA before many folks had even heard of a metal detector, and have studied many relics over the years. Because I stated that items like yours and similar to the ones found by the OP were items found in pump sprayers and that I refuted your idea that rubber lasts years out in the elements was no attack on your intellect, just trying to get a better positive ID on the items at hand. I have never watched Mayberry, I prefer educational shows and reading history books and civil war diaries. I apologize if I upset you, I in no means would mean to do that, and I don't know why you seem so irritated when I do disagree with you.

Have a great weekend,

Gunsil

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread