Clad All Over - Truck full of Nickels overturns (Updated)

OP
OP
Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Re: Clad All Over - Truck full of Nickels overturns

The link above contained the original story but has expired. I remember the day this occurred - I was returning from a beach hunt and thought, "Hmmm...", but never went. Notice this new report says "Most of the $185,000 was recovered" :o. I would think that since the SS gave up the search, what's left would be considered abandoned property, no? Good luck if you know the location.

"Deputy investigated in spilled nickel grab

Last Update: 10/09/2008 12:11 pm

TITUSVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Authorities say at least one deputy is being investigated for allegedly gathering some of the government's nickels that scattered on a highway after a U.S. Treasury truck was involved in a crash.

Sheriff's office spokeswoman Sgt. Linda Moros confirmed the internal investigation.

Authorities say the armored truck rear-ended another truck in September, sending it into a guardrail. The armored truck overturned on its right side, killing a guard.

The crash closed part of Interstate-95 temporarily in north Brevard County as Secret Service crews worked to clear up the 3.7 million nickels. Most of the $185,000 was recovered.

The nickels were en route from the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia to the Federal Reserve Bank in Miami."

here's a link to the updated story...
http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...illed-nickel-grab/gv3XCz6rk0W0MesK-RCyzw.cspx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread