Clad and lots of no tresspassing

Jun 6, 2013
Altoona PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well went out yesterday for my first hunt of they year..had to get a new detector...went to a local school and did a bit and was getting some good clad , i knew i would as it was a newer school. just wanted to make sure my new detector was working OK.

well than i went to hunt a older ball field and on it was NO TRESPASSING SCHOOL USE ONLY! Not that my tax money dose not pay for that field but hey what every, so i went to go to a older school that the main building was built in the 30s part was added on in the early 50s BIG field out back. well again was hit with NO TRESPASSING....$2500 dollar fine or 90 days in prison...No numbers to call to ask if i can...no info at all.
lady across the street said there going to build a new Elderly home building in that area. i can say this area had a good chance of silver. :BangHead:

the town where i live has a bunch of school, over half were shut down and sold and as my town i live in cant manage there money well. so we went from like 10 schools down to 3 larger ones and one smaller one. all the ones sold are from the 30s to the 70s they sold and all are being torn down :( lots of good hunting spots going away :( They are easy for quick hunts...well will have to start brushing up on door knocking!

Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Bummer MetalDetectingZombie.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. & strips along old residential streets. See youtube videos: Turneriver.

In my area parts of some schools are unfenced, and & you can hunt the unfenced areas & also the grass by the street. Tho i found no old silver coins at these schools , I have found nice silver jewelry. Also it depends on the neighborhood. I see some of the schools kids playing basketball and cops parked right there paYing them no mind. Some schools still have the old style opening in the fence and families still using it like a park. I used those opportunities 2 hunt the old playground and fields but only found clad anyway so I don't bother anymore. In South Florida the schools were thoroughly hunted by not only hobbyists but by silver hounds and Club hunts since the 70's.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Due to the horrendous mass killings at schools, more and more schools will be permanently off-limits to detectorists as well as to anyone not on the school grounds for school business or sports events, graduations, etc. If local schools had enuf funding, probably all of them would now be fenced, locked & posted when not in use for school events.
BUT for permanently closed schools or other empty buildings which are set for demolition, you can ask permission from the owners or managers to detect either before or after demolition, ie. before new construction begins on the site. There's a site with 8 old wooden buildings being readied for demolition in our town and I'm going to ask for permission to detect it. If I get turned down, will detect beach & parks as usual. But a yes would be superb! So far, I haven't had the nerve to approach people to ask permission at their sites, but gearing up to do so, lol Hope you get permission to hunt some of those older sites in your town. Andi

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My advice, go to the town hall and find out who the new owner is and get to him and plead, beg offer him 50% of what you find, but get permission to hunt it before the earth machines come a digging. What a waste of good hunting ground this will become. How much damage could you possibly do hunting here anyway?
The no trespassing signs are becoming way to many these days.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've only had one person turn me down and it was because he was a metal detector user too. Real nice guy brought me into his shop and showed me 3 ounces of gold he got panning in Alaska. Not many people metal detect around here so no one has screwed it up for me yet. Always fill in holes and take trash out with me so no problems so far. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread