Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Infinium L/S
Deep Tech Vista X
Headhunter Pirate Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three of us been hunting Florida Gulf for years and know each other well. Happens more often than it should. Sometimes while wading one of us will show up, short talk and move on. Except the Claim Jumper. He will slide in around where your hunting and score something good, sometimes Gold. Last time he came around, I told him about a good hole down the beach. So he goes down and scoops up TWENTY quarters. I can't stand it. So the other day, New guy goes up and Raids Claim Jumpers fav hole for a 64 Rosy, matching Brass ring and bracelet. Well what goes around, they say. We can't figure how this happens but it does create a good many laughs.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have that competitiveness about us. We get excited when someone else shows up at the beach we are hunting. I get it all the time and its no fun at the end of the hunt when they show you all their gold ..... while you only have pennies to show off lol. So i dont know if its the GOLD..... or the competition/bragging rights most of us enjoy. BUT..... this is one fun hobby.... and we all get our share.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dancer, Its funny to say claim jumpers, it a beach! I wish only 2 or 3 others were showing up to hunt. Its normal here on the Jersey Coast to see 10 or more hunting the same small beach. Back in the 1990's I started hunting at 0 Dark 30 because of too many hunters. Today at the we hours of the night its not uncommon to meet 10 hunters with headlights attached to the heads looking for treasure buried in the sand? Never understood why you need a light? Look when you get home. After a storm we see 50 skimmers come out. (skimmers)= those who come out and remove all those nastycoins, running all about the beach the first day and being happy with a 25 dollar day of coins and maybe a few silver rings. Its only then a good hunter can concentrate on the deeper gold signals left behind and no longer maked by loud blaring coins. It's just fun to me saving items from the ground and a bonus if its a nice gold ring.
steve

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the beach as been public, competition or friends who shows up....it's just the luck of the draw. The only time I'm bothered ... is if they continuously follow me around, sometimes getting so close I can hear their detector.

The only time I call them claim jumpers is when they come out looking for you. They find you, (telling you they were out looking for a good fishing hole) and in there the next day hunting with you. Only had that happen once and really it was my own fault for posting several gold rings from one spot in a short period of time. Lesson learned. If I'm finding gold at multiple beach's I'll post, but if I hit a honey hole...I'll hold for several months.

Last edited:

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compared to farming dirt, the beach sounds like easy pickings.

Attachments

• 1digger.png
    1digger.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 74

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, beaches are public, but, when you've been gridding an area (obvious with your scoop marks) and someone jumps right in front of you, that's bad behavior. One time, a buddy and I were hitting a good area in the wet sand during a really low tide. We generally hunt 50 yards apart or so, and leap frog over each other as we work down the beach. We'd been there a couple of hours, gridding away, when some knucklehead comes and jumps right between us. My buddy was heading that direction towards where I was and got really upset about that and confronted the guy (nicely at first) We both told the guy that it wasn't cool to do that and we would appreciate it if he moved down the beach a ways. He pretty much told us to buzz off, and continued to detect. Well, my buddy and I discussed it for a minute or so, and decided that instead of beating the guy to death with our scoops, we would just move right up next to him on both sides and dog him to the point where he couldn't hear anything but our detectors singing in his ears. He got the hint, and moved about a 1/4 mile away.

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of detectorist want to hit the main beach only and that makes for some close encounters.

Last edited:

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
This post pulled a smile from me as I can completely relate to this situation. At one time, you could just look to see if it was an inexpensive detector being used and not worry so much about the competition. Now with the Equinox, Simplex and others the other person usually has just as good of a chance to find good targets. This is where knowing the beach can give you the edge!

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
A true water or beach detectorist knows the "rules," and will follow protocol. Usually, a newbie has no clue. I've done all the above when one has invaded my "space." I really find that they're usually no threat. What really ticks me off, though, is when someone who knows better, jumps in front of me to detect the same lane I've been walking for blocks! Even then, they usually miss a ton. I'll slow down and dig the faints.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
florida has 8436 miles of coastline, not including the shores of all the little islands. It's bad enough the richy riches and hoteliers want ya to stay off their beaches and out of their waters as it is to see folks thinking they have the right to sand..

geez, it's not like we're not looking for someone elses misfortune.

this is also the gunshine state and ticking someone off that thinks they have a right to a dropped earring can lead to crazy stuff happening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread