Claim Staked Recon Hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. This Monday I mailed off the two old brass railroad baggage tags to a relative by marriage of the family who's name was on the tag. Did you get that???? Anyhow through communications with the man I gained permission to hunt his farmland. Today was my first time out there and the spot I hunted always gets flooded out and the crops die. I hunted this area to see if I could find anything at all and did manage a few items. First dug the very white patina lead bullet. Dug some other lead too and one was a tiny musket ball I believe. Not a whole lot of targets in this area as I suspected there wouldn't be as it's a flood plane and I reckon there have never been structures built in this area. I did get the old iron harness hook thingy on the way back to the command vehicle as the sun set. Nice to find something that old in the dirt. I hope to get to know the farmers in time and see what they can tell me about the stuff they might have plowed up in these fields. The last two pictures are the brass railroad tags I returned to the family member. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

Gary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 001.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 002.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 003.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 004.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 005.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 006.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 007.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 008.JPGGary's Field @ Dave's Swamp 009.JPG003.JPG012.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17
NICE TAG TOKEN..

NICE TAG TOKEN..

Thank you. I really like those two old brass railroad baggage tags. Having a local name attached to them led me on another "hunt" to find the original owner and their remaining family. It has been quite a pleasure to return them to a family member and in return gain several hundred acres of farm ground to hunt in exchange. This return may lead to a possibility of new permissions as I get to know the farmers and perhaps gain access to some of their property as well as more leads. A definite WIN WIN for doing some research and returning these tags to someone who really appreciates them. Also learning even more about our ancestors has been fascinating.:icon_thumright:

Sweet baggage tags! Franklin Grove IL!! How old do you think? That's the way to work a permission!! Cool finds! HH

Sweet baggage tags! Franklin Grove IL!! How old do you think? That's the way to work a permission!! Cool finds! HH

The research showed two possibilities for the tags. A Henry Gross who died in 1907 or 1908. Also a Henrietta Gross. Not sure when she died. The research can be sketchy. I believe the tags are from the latter 1800's to early 1900's. I have exchanged many phone calls and texts with the family member who allowed me permission to hunt his farmland. He is a retired teacher who taught at Ashton, Illinois. He knows many of my coworkers as I work in Ashton at Crest Foods. It's been a blast getting to do the shared research of the family and gaining access to new frontiers for hunting.:icon_thumright:

Well done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Thanks Emitt. And to think my soul purpose for buying my first metal detector was to put silver coins in my treasure chest!:blackbeard::skullflag::tchest: Well, as many of us have come to realize this treasure hunting will take us on adventures we never conceived or considered. My most rewarding finds since beginning on this journey have been the items I have returned to a family member or the actual owner. The exchanges have been most pleasurable. Also gaining access to new hunting ground is priceless!:icon_thumright:

Have you looked at the farm from Google Earth? Might show some good places to start hunting!

Have you looked at the farm from Google Earth? Might show some good places to start hunting!

Not yet. Sounds like something I can do this evening to entertain myself and research. Thanks mate.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back