What's new

Classroom presentation Ideas wanted

pennyfarmer

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
632
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Haven, UT
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to give a presentation on local history and show some artifacts that I have found. I plan on bringing some of my tools to show the kids. It is a 4th grade class so they are around 10yo.

If anyone else has ever done this I was wondering what are some good things to do or show and what things to avoid?

Thanks
 
Bury some targets in a box filled with sand or dirt and then let the kids find them with your pinpointer. They will be thrilled- Kids love hands on experiences. Good Luck!
 
I actually did this very thing in my daughters 6th grade class.I had to fill 15 minutes and was pretty nervous.I took along a box of finds ranging from coins to buckles,antique jewelry etc.
I made a 3x5 card for each item I could date aand noted what school was like,how the kids got there etc with each.The big hit was playing,"what is it?"with personal items.The teacher was into it too.ended up goin 35 mins and class ended.

I have been back twice now to the 6th grade history class and this year my daughter isnt even in it.now I go 55 mins and they want more.

I say bring wierd finds and pass them around...then play ID game....big hit...good luck

edit...I forgot to add that I printed full page pics of the items in use..showed them instead of telling them after all guessing done..they ate it up...:icon_thumright:
 
Last edited:
You might want to make a coin garden on the school playground ,and maybe place flags in the ground on where the coins might be,also bury some trash. You might also put an item in a small box,tape it shut, and cut a hole big enough for the kids to put their hand in,and have them guess what it is ,how it feels,etc.
 
Great ideas. Thanks. I am not really going to make a test garden but I may demonstrate the machine. I am going to focus more on the history of items and what they meant to people who settled our area.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom