What's new

cleaning coins

dusty1530

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
417
Reaction score
206
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is the best method for cleaning an old coins so when you get done they look nice . vinegar and water?
 
what is the best method for cleaning an old coins so when you get done they look nice . vinegar and water?

Sand Paper (30-grit is best) or a bench grinder.

Nah, just kidding: It depends on what type coins you're talking about: Copper? nickels? silver? Gold? etc.... Different metals react differently to different methods. So you need to be specific.
 
I always use hot boiling peroxide for my coppers and water and baking soda mix for silvers.
 
I have a copper 1934 Cinco centavo coin then I want to clean
 
Copper = amonia , or the petri dish of hydrogen peroxide trick . Boil the hydrogen peroxide in the microwave, then drop the coin in.
 
I cleaned some badly corroded Buffalo Nickles using SOS pads in the sink, followed by a Dremel tool with a brass wire wheel, and finally using some Dremel fine polishing compound and a small buffing wheel. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight. They turned out real well.

Silver coins: I just rinse them under the sink and lightly pat dry. Rubbing or wiping them can cause scratches. I once used a small amount of lemon juice to remove some green corrosion from a silver quarter where it had been against a nickle in the ground for many years, and that seems to work good.

If the coin has any collectors value (key date, gold, etc) I wouldn't touch it. Some places may even pay more for it in "as-found" condition versus an improperly cleaned coin.

I still haven't found a method for cleaning pennies that I like. Olive oil is slow but seems to get good results. Other methods can remove too much dirt/corrosion when can leave the penny with a pitted look.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom