What's new

Cleaning copper

Gabbit

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
546
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
Reciently found a 1914D penny -- which at fine books at $250.00 in the red book. I have a car wax call liquid luster -- but it works great as a jewlery cleaner -- it polishes up silver like you can't believe -- anyhow I decided to try it on a 1917S wheat penny. Do you think I should use it to clean the 1914D penny? I does not look like it took off that much detal (although in retrospect it would have been better to take a before and after pic ).
 

Attachments

  • Cleanside.webp
    Cleanside.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 611
  • dirtyside.webp
    dirtyside.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 617
if it were me i wouldnt mess with cleaning it unless it was so bad that i had to in order to id it. otherwise i would leave it in the condition i found it in. just rinse it with a little water. a lot of collectors like to see that old patina. its your call though. just know that cleaning it will diminish its value.
 
Thanks everyone for the advice -- conservator do you have any advice on where to send it?
 
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Just leave it like it is or use a soft used tooth brush..very soft..... just to get the dirt off
 
Look into a copper brush (AKA Camel Hair Brush). That is the only thing I would use with coppers. That is what the pros use with Large cents. It will not scratch, but will remove particulates and add a natural sheen.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom