cleaning quartz

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I would love to hear an answer too :icon_scratch:

I have a few I've collected to keep here, with me.

How ya make em pretty and sparkly?

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
You might want to try Muriatic acid(at hardware stores). Brick masons use it to clean iron stains from old masonry. I have used the muriatic acid on quartz crystals myself and it worked real good. Just be sure to rinse the crystals off in distilled water, as there are no minerals(natural or added) that might cause iron stains on your newly cleaned specimens.

Good luck! HH

Upvote 0

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
Muriatic acid mixed with Iron Out. The Iron Out will keep the iron from redepositing on the quartz. Be warned--Iron Out stinks to high heaven, only use it outside. It has a real nice rotten egg kind of a smell to it. You should also know that sometimes the iron is an inclusion of the quartz, the crystal can be all pitted and ugly when the quartz is removed......if it can be removed. I often just use the Iron Out in hot water and don't bother with the acid at all.

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
EggyOG said:
Muriatic acid mixed with Iron Out. The Iron Out will keep the iron from redepositing on the quartz. Be warned--Iron Out stinks to high heaven, only use it outside. It has a real nice rotten egg kind of a smell to it. You should also know that sometimes the iron is an inclusion of the quartz, the crystal can be all pitted and ugly when the quartz is removed......if it can be removed. I often just use the Iron Out in hot water and don't bother with the acid at all.
Great tip! I'll have to give that a try. I always use the muriatic acid outside, kept in a heavy plastic container with lid(not a tight fitting lid), and kept in a safe place away from pets and people. When you are through with it, just throw in some chunks of marble(I used a base from an old trophy and some chunks I got from a tombstone maker buddy of mine) to neutralize it.

The Iron Out seems to be the best way! Thanks Eggy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use ironout on some crystal rock that has some prysmsbut after a few days some of it had some iron show up on it . I rinse it off real good with tap water could the tap water cause it ??? should i rinse it after using iron out?? bildon

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
bildon said:
I use ironout on some crystal rock that has some prysmsbut after a few days some of it had some iron show up on it . I rinse it off real good with tap water could the tap water cause it ??? should i rinse it after using iron out?? bildon
Tap water could contain high levels of iron, causing crystals to stain. Rinse them in "Distilled Water". You can buy distilled water at your local supermarket.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread