Clintwood VA area

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Swiftfan. I'll be sure to research the Crane tribe. I haven't heard of the Crane tribe before that i can remember. Ive read a little on Peter Cornstalk and some other shawnee's connected to swift. Thanks for the info
I looked into the Dickerson County historical records; there WAS a Crane Tribe/Family living along the Pound River. It MAY well be that it was members of the Crane family (Melungeons), AND! Patriarch "Chief" Crane... ALSO interesting was Crane's Nest pond, rocks/boulders with a "drawing" (inscribed) of a CRANE (could be Boundary "markers"... dunno); worthy of MORE Research & Investigation!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Further... Crane Tribe/Family lived in Log Cabins by the Pound River; Shawnee Nation claimed the area as HUNTING GROUNDS; NO Tribal community. Chief Cornstalk & Chief Blue Jacket were of the Shawnee Nation (from Ohio) & did establish "boundaries" for Hunting areas; THAT is why "Cornstalks" may have been inscribed carvings on rocks/boulders as Cornstalk's; later showing J. Swift where Spanish Mines were. Cherokee Nation "worked" 'em, too. Then, of course... J. Swift, up to Red River Gorge. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20151122_093427.jpg IMG_20151122_093436.jpg IMG_20151122_093504.jpg IMG_20151122_101114.jpg IMG_20151122_110739.jpg IMG_20151122_110750.jpg A few cool pics from this weekend

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cold out but it was a good hike. Hopefully I'll get to explore it some more this weekend. Also checked out another place later that day. I'll post some more pics

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an awesome place. Weve been going over there for a while. Weve found a lot of old rock shelters and caves but nothing of value. Lots of things to see there cool carvings too

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Its an awesome place. Weve been going over there for a while. Weve found a lot of old rock shelters and caves but nothing of value. Lots of things to see there cool carvings too
Review that area for "primitive" ore furnaces, as Silver was mined by Melungeons & MUCH counterfeiting of SiLVER coin was going on. Those caves MAY be Melungeon "hide-a-ways"... dunno.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The flat rocks could have been for a portable smelter. I actually went back to the area again yesterday. I took a friend with me and he had searched the area about 20 years ago. He showed me some carvings and some turtle rocks, Ive been hiking right passed them and didn't even notice them lol. It was a great learning experience watching a experienced hunter comb the area after so many years. Im gonna try to go back this weekend and get some more pics. Hopefully something good will turn up 8-)

Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting pictures...I live at the base of birch knob/pine mountain. And I've found a few interesting things myself...can't wait to speak with ya about your findings...

Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call the caves/over hangs with the ladder Indian caves...which us clintwood folk name things strange..but I've always heard it called Indian cave

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The birch knob area is an awesome place. So much to see there, every time we go there we find something new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread