Clubs in Northern California

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi, Anybody know of any metal detector clubs in or around Chico, Oroville, Paradise area....

I think the closest club would be Sacramento.

The era of brick & mortar clubs has passed a decade and more ago. Ever since the dawn of the internet, and MD'ing web-forums, people tend to do their "socializing" on-line. Ie.: whenever you want to see or learn the latest technology pros & cons', show off your finds, see what others are finding, hear interesting stories, know who else detects in your area, etc... you do so from the comfort of your own living room.

Hence the only clubs left around the nation, are those in much bigger cities, with lots of population to draw from. And even then-so, their #'s are down. The internet made us a nation of lazy people I guess :(

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you sure got that right....I spend way to much time on here...

Catchmydrift

May 2, 2014
Paradise,CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jhen I'm in Paradise. Been a lurker on this forum for a while and finally joined today. I don't know of any clubs around here for sure but I do know there is a prospector shop in Oroville. I haven't been there yet but was told there might be some club info in there.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...I have been in there looking at what they had....didn't get a chance to ask them about clubs...the next time I am there I,ll see what they have to say about a club in the area....

Catchmydrift

May 2, 2014
Paradise,CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you go out MDing around here much? I've yet to meet anyone around here that detects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to a few parks, looking for coins here in Oroville...I don't have a nugget machine, but have an minelab x-terra 705 on the way...I just have to get a 6" coil for it to do nugget hunting...I am retired so I kind of go when I get the itch to go...just been doing some research on old ghost towns or old school sits that are not there anymore...been looking for some old topo maps from the 40,s and 50,s..

Catchmydrift

May 2, 2014
Paradise,CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked the library for those maps? I remember seeing a couple there a couple months ago but can't remember what decade they're from.

I own an automotive repair business so I go out whenever I get the itch as well. Which happens to be every day. haha. Sadly, I feel like I'm running out of places to go. =

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to get the 6" coil for the 705 and sooner or later try that nugget hunting....cant be any worse than coin hunting in these trashy parks looking for gold rings...my wife says the same thing about looking in the library's for the maps....have you ever been to bidwell park in chico...do they let you use a metal detector there??

Catchmydrift

May 2, 2014
Paradise,CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted Bidwell many times. I did some searching on other forums a couple years ago before going there to find out of others had poked around there before. Yes they had and as long as you cover your holes and bring a bag to put trash finds in you're in the clear. :)

Brushhog

Jun 10, 2014
Cherokee, CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just had time to look at this thread. I live near Cherokee. I work in Paradise for a few more weeks. I tried to visit the store in Oroville last week (with my friend woody50) but they were closed "gone mining". I have only made one other post here introducing myself, I've been spending more time searching in dirt than online this week.

PM me?

Phil

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
welcome aboard brush-hog. What kind of hunting do you like ? Coins/relics? or nuggets? You're in the right part of the state if you're into nuggets/prospecting :)

Brushhog

Jun 10, 2014
Cherokee, CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Tom, gold is in this area and that's what I'm looking for. Artifacts are just the bonus, although "artifacts" around here aren't older than 150 years. woody50 throws back finds from Roman times or newer when he's hunting Europe but didn't do that here or he'd have nothing at all to show for his hours of searching.

So far I'm scoring "artifacts (many)" but "gold (none)". Of course, with the low level of expertise I've reached, if I were finding all that I want it would indicate that experience isn't necessary. Since I know that to not be the case, I'm content to practice and learn.

Phil

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are there many free areas to detect nuggets around here? I live up in paradise. Just got my first metal detector and took the in-laws down to forks of the butte to show them the area a bit and try out my detector. Didn't find much for the limited time we were there. Just a 9mm casing, bullet and a pull tab.

I heard there is a detecting club up here in paradise though too.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,
Looking at old posts and see you bought a 705. How do you like it? Thinking about hitting E-Bay and seeing if I can get one.
thanks,
Tom
Sutter Creek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions