umrgolf2010 said:
CRUSADER said:
umrgolf2010 said:
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
Dug this at the place Jeff and I have been finding all the Colonial and Civil War relics. It looks to be made from Pewter and very old. It has a loop that attached it to a chain or rope, etc....but is broken and probably how it became lost in the first place. Any one seen one identical to it before?
I don't get that feeling that it as old as you hope
I'm thinking it could be 1700s or 1800s....With the exception of a couple of items from the 1850s, we've not found anything on this site older than the 1830s...that being said..who knows....I can say that this picture doesn't do it justice and in person you can see that the pewter on the other side is starting to crack so its got to have some age to it.
I think the modelling of the whole piece is screaming (1900ish), its just not right for 18th Century, at least in my experience of those type of pieces. Wish I had better references but its my gut feel on this one

look forward to be proven wrong
You are obviously more educated than me on the age of different items, but pewter was a material used to make pendants 100 yrs ago?
still make them today, so yes
pewter was a very popular cheap medium in the late 1800s early 1900s think of all the pewter Medallions from that period. The consistancy changed over the years, but you would need a science lab for that kinda analysis.
To me, it just has elements of a modern marketing idea, putting across sudo-historical images into a modern bundle.