What's new

Coil Covers - Should you use them?

Maybe the coils made today are cheaper than the ones they used to make. But again, never used a cover and don't intend to.
I still have my White's 3000 from 1982, a 6000 Series 3, a 6000Di pro and now a Vision. I'm not too worried about reselling my machines. I buy for keeps.
I did sell a DFX which was used infrequently because it just couldn't outperform my 6000 DiPro and was a PIA in the field. The Vision I bought because it's lightweight and a lot easier than the DFX...in my opinion anyhow.
I also have an arsenal of coils and with experience, never will need covers for them.

Metal detecting is a fun hobby for me and I never had a worry about cracking or breaking anything. I have faith in White's machines being durable and believe they understand these machines get a licking. I detect without worry, which would just take the fun out of it for me.

Common sense dictates that if you're in a lot of rocks, simply lift your loop a tad over them. Bouncing off rocks causes falsing anyhow. I'm not swinging 60 mph to damage a coil and I'm not grinding it into the soil. That light scuffing my coils take isn't doing any damage and I'm not using it as a hoe to push things out of the way.

Learn to use a machine properly and you'll never need a cover.

Al
 
liftloop said:
deepskyal said:
Never used a coil cover....bang those things off rocks, scrub the ground...never broke a coil or a detector.
Been detecting since the 80's and do consider myself an intelligent person.

We never had coil covers so there wasn't an option. Think it's just something manufacturers are hawking for the ones that think a scratch will ruin there machine. I don't worry about aesthetics...just what I can find.

Al
So do you take them off if you buy a detector that has one.

None of the detectors I bought had a coil cover and at 56, I don't see me buying another. Most I'll buy anytime soon is a bigger coil for the Vision...maybe... :thumbsup:

Al
 
your way sound like loss of dept!!! do mother earth a favor scratch her back by scrubbing the ground with your coil.
 
liftloop said:
your way sound like loss of dept!!! do mother earth a favor scratch her back by scrubbing the ground with your coil.

LOL...she gets a light back rub from me....don't think my way misses much. I'm on the ground...just not diggin my nails in. ;D

Al
 
Liftloop: Scratching her back ! Oh that's cute ! Actually your scratching your coil. Using a coil cover is like using an old Trojan, It's cuts down on the pleasure.
 
lol I love this forum. yous guys & gals are great. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom