Coin ID help please.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Ok guys this one has me stumped. I have a Smokey the bear 40th anniversary coin that I can NOT find any information on.

It is stamped on the side (copyright symbol) 1984 .999 fine silver.

Says commemorative stamp Day August 13, 1984 on back.

I have found aluminum versions and one brass version on eBay but have not been able to find a silver one. Anyone know anything about this? Numbered issued, Value, anything Lol

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• smokey back.jpg
    smokey back.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 697
  • smokey front.jpg
    smokey front.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 701

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On August 9, 1944 a bear was chosen to be the spokesman for forest fire prevention. The bear was named "Smokey" after a well-known Assistant Fire Chief named Smokey Joe Martin.
Six years later, a 5 lb. black bear cub was found after a forest fire in the Capitan Mountains near Capitan, New Mexico. Named Smokey after the poster bear, the cub was later sent to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. to become the "living symbol" for fire prevention.

On November 9th, 1976, Smokey passed away and was returned to his hometown of Capitan, New Mexico and is buried at the Smokey Bear Historical Park. 1984 marked the 40th birthday of the poster Smokey and was celebrated by a commemorative stamp designed by Rudy Wendelin, with the first day issue being in Smokey's hometown of Capitan.
The commemorative token you have may have been placed on a first day cover of the commemorative stamp or sold separately (perhaps in Capitan) as part of the anniversary celebration. I'd guess it's value at just over spot.

Tx.digger

Mar 22, 2009
WOW - very cool coin .
I would estimate it's value at about 10 times your face .... 8)

Ask me Monday about 3 new detecting places we are getting directions to from D. baby's daddy .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread