What's new

Coin ID Help

Bruce Ct

Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE w/ pro coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this coin in a farm field in CT. It's copper, SLIGHYLY larger in dia than a US penny but much thinner. I can make out a crest/shield with a crown above it (crown is hard to see in photo).
I'm thinking that it might be from a German state late 1700's-mid 1800's (?). Any help appreciated.
Bruce Ct

Don You're absolutely right. Imitation spade 1/2 guinea. Made in the mid 1800's as advertising and gaming/gambling pieces.
Thanks again, Bruce Ct
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0711.webp
    DSCN0711.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 338
Looks like a NJ copper, hard to tell from the pics.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Don,
The link you sent looks close based on the minimal details on my coin. It dosen't give me an indication to size. My coin is only slightly larger in dia than a US small cent. It's small !
Bruce Ct
 
Upvote 0
Bruce Ct said:
Thanks Don,
The link you sent looks close based on the minimal details on my coin. It dosen't give me an indication to size. My coin is only slightly larger in dia than a US small cent. It's small !
Bruce Ct

I have no doubt the half guinea token or even the guinea itself is correct, the sizes are listed here:

The guineas range between 24-27mm diameter and the half guineas 20-22mm. Ref: http://www.tokensociety.org.uk/topics/imitation-g.shtml

A Penny is 19mm.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Don, you really know your stuff !! Now with your lead I can check my world coin reference book. I love finding the old coppers here in New England - they're fairly common but the soil here really beats them up.
Bruce
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom