Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I found what I thought was a totally toasted copper coin. I did not do any cleaning because I was afraid I might ruin any chance of future identification. I have tried some water cleaning in the past with poor results. I have also found some coppers that I was able to remove just enough dirt to be able to ID the coin but if I took off any more dirt I would loose the contrast and the detail.

I was talking with an acquaintance who actually owns a museum of metal detector finds and I decided to try a little more cleaning on some of the toasted coins using A careful wipe with distilled water. In removing more dirt from this coin I was able to get some detail. On the front is a bust facing right and on the back a base line with Britannia with a hard on the left. The coin is about 25 to 26 mm in diameter.

From what I can see on line it looks like a 1722 Hibernian half penny. We don’t find a lot of old copper coins around here and the farm soil makes them pretty toasty. I would like some help in verifying what I have. Also I have seen some listed as woods Hibernia and as farth Hibernia. What is the difference if there is one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help and may your coil find only good things.

Before cleaning.

948165A1-BDEA-4B0E-893D-75C9B836806E.jpeg 392CF73D-6B44-473E-BBCA-440C3102CED7.jpeg

After light cleaning.

A93870EA-D8EB-46B0-9541-F78B13BA0C2B.jpeg AF30160B-E6BA-4C67-994E-C65327032D42.jpeg

Upvote 6

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George II halfpenny I believe. I can see Hibernia on the reverse and the bust faces right, so George II time frame. For clarification it is not a Woods Hibernia as the harp is on the wrong side of Hibernia.

Last edited:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great find. You should be able to find your coin on the internet.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something fairly easy to try is to take closeup detailed, in focus pictures of front and back with your cell phone in good lighting, then run those pics thru a filter to enhance the pics and bring out subtle details that you couldnt otherwise see with the naked eye. I use a free app from Google called Snapseed that is really easy to use, and there are some really good preset filters that can really bring some of those hidden details out of the woodwork. It works great for me. I did a crude test by taking a pic of your pics from my screen, ran them thru a filter called "Drama" and boosted the color and you could see the details better. Just a thought..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George II halfpenny I believe. I can see Hibernia on the reverse and the bust faces right, so George II time frame. For clarification it is not a Woods Hibernia as the harp is on the wrong side of Hibernia.
Agreed, looks like Irish Hafpenny, but the head is like Geo I & the harp is on the wrong side as you say, so very odd!

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, it is a 1722 Hibernia halfpenny, harp left variety! It is a Woods Hibernia, William Wood had a private contract to produce the coins for Ireland. Not sure what the Farth would be unless an abbreviation of farthing as Wood made coins in both denominations.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buck8point. I am not always good with new technology and my phone is pretty old. I will see if I can use an app on my iPad where I do most of my photo work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions