What's new

Coin roll JFK not what it appears!

halfdime

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
4,518
Reaction score
1,498
Golden Thread
0
Location
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been doing a ton of CRH with half dollars and recently found two scotch and soda Kennedys. Part of a magic trick, as I understand it. They make a peculiar thud when dropped, very unlike a real coin. Got another today, or at least I thought so. A typical scotch and soda half hides a Mexican centavo inside, and that's what I expected. They only open on one side. This one I had to pry, and I saw the seam on the reverse so I pried it open. Unlike the scotch and sodas, this had a very thin reverse over an eagle core. Then I noticed a seam on the obverse, so I peeled that off. Sure enough, there's another Kennedy underneath! I don't know that the pictures are very good. Has anyone seen this before, or know anything about it!
 

Attachments

  • 15319183_1494252970603645_7790146662508873211_n.webp
    15319183_1494252970603645_7790146662508873211_n.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 15326520_1494252997270309_2427145529637870322_n.webp
    15326520_1494252997270309_2427145529637870322_n.webp
    34 KB · Views: 119
  • 15327365_1494253090603633_7844005212789086386_n.webp
    15327365_1494253090603633_7844005212789086386_n.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 15356645_1494253060603636_4248456547976576767_n.webp
    15356645_1494253060603636_4248456547976576767_n.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 15356688_1494253027270306_6548100910554518558_n.webp
    15356688_1494253027270306_6548100910554518558_n.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 14
See this on a quarter that had heavy corrosion the nickle separated from the copper
 
got 3 so far and all sold for $8-9 each on EBAY. also got one that was made from 2 '69 halves that sold for $20. scotch & soda trick coin. why I tend to hope for a VERY light roll of halves, they do PLINK when dropped, can be 2 or 3 pieces, always welcome in any box, maybe when I pick up 2 more Friday :dontknow::dontknow:
 
likely its side plating has broken away from the copper base core
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom