Coin Shards and Zincins?

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Hey guys I've got a ton of penny, dime and quarter shards from overjealous lawnmowers and don't know what to do with them. Same goes for the dreaded zincins that are seriously eroded. What do you guys do with all of yours. I hate to have to throw them all away but they are taking up space and I'm sending out one last SOS before I 86'em.

Shark27

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i have a bunch of half eaten coins i was wondering what to do with....maybe i'll put them in a small jar and bury them at an old site as a cache for someone to find and let them deal with it :laughing7:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard a while ago that if you take the corroded zincs to the bank, they have to exchange them for serviceable pennies. But a friend of mine did that and they said thanks, threw them in the trash and gave him nothing in return. If you all are like me, you probably have hundreds if not thousands of unserviceable zinc pennies. And every penny adds up!!

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
What I do with all my (almost) junk finds, hold on to them for a year or two till I feel weird about it. then trash em'.

Keychainman

Oct 20, 2008
Petal, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 & Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put mine in the Salvation Army bucket around this time of the year. My sister used to work for Salvation Army as a office Mgr. She said that when they find bad coins that they would take them to the bank, the bank would exchange them (no questions asked). Donating them (bad coins) instead of throwing them in the trash sounds better to me. Thanks :icon_thumright:

beep-beep

Jan 14, 2010
North Carolina , Bertie
Detector(s) used
BH-Quick Silver,Ace 250,BH pinpointer and the DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE
I pass corroded zincs on for someone else to worry about. I drop them in a short copper pipe, beat the ends down and sell them with the rest of the copper. Never had dime and quarter shards but I guess I would do the same.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banks around here all take them. I don't see how they can refuse them, they are legal tender.

I like the idea of putting them all in a jar and burying them somewhere for someone to find though..lol

or you could scatter them around tot lots.....lol

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the copper pipe idea!! :icon_thumleft: Better than my system of melting them when I have a bunch & and going to use the torch to braze something. The junk yard gives me copper price for the blobs. Had a friend years ago that made tin soldiers & figurines as a business. He would get a wild hare you know where & melt coppers and make two or three of his most popular figurines. Even though he marked them up 500% he'd sell all of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread