Coinstar Reject...Thank Goodness!!!

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I decided to head to Winn Dixie right down the road from where I live to pay a visit to the coinstar machine (first timer). I decided that my one-months digs of coins needed to be turned into dollar bills, and stashed away somewhere safely so I can save for my Garrett pinpointer! After I put all my coins in, and the machine did it's thing, in the coin return compartment there were about 10 coins that weren't accepted. I started looking through them all, and found another wheatie! Not just any ordinary wheatie though...I did some research and found that this 1943 is a wartime penny made of steel! Woot!!! I didn't realize it was a wheatie when I pulled it out of the ground because it was just really dirty and worn... I guess I'll check a little harder next time! Anyways, now I'm up to 4 wheats! Oh, I managed a whopping $18.43 just from my finds! Oh, and these pictures were taken after I cleaned them up after getting home from Winn Dixie. Pretty nice! Happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• IMGP0005.JPG
    IMGP0005.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMGP0003 copy.JPG
    IMGP0003 copy.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,258

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must have been extremely dry ground. Over the years, I've dug maybe three steel cents and only one was in any kind of shape. the others were nothing but layers of rust. great find! :thumbsup:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job.
But why take your coins to Coinstar and lose a percentage when you can take them to your bank for free?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and great way to save for your Propointer. It's well worth it. Happy hunting.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstar is good for rejecting the silver - thank goodness.

Deathare- 'round here, you have to roll your change, label the rolls with name, phone number, DL#, just to have them dump it out again. I use Coinstar alot. The little bit they charge is worth not having to roll it. But that's just me, because I'm lazy!

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverPirate said:
Coinstar is good for rejecting the silver - thank goodness.

Deathare- 'round here, you have to roll your change, label the rolls with name, phone number, DL#, just to have them dump it out again. I use Coinstar alot. The little bit they charge is worth not having to roll it. But that's just me, because I'm lazy!

Sounds like you need a new bank. :laughing7:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I belonged to a credit union that had a change counter. You could bring in change by the bucketful and I did - but not dug coins, just years of saved pocket change. I don't think I could have faced the embarrassment of having them run a bunch of dirty coins through their magical machine.
Now coinstar at 9.8% -- we're nearly tithing to them! For that percentage I should be able to just walk in straight from the field and dump my treasure pouch - bottle caps and all - and get my payout. Of course if we do that shortly everyone will be paying a 19.6% fee.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost, found then almost lost again. Congrats on finding the 1943...twice.

I always check the coinstar return when I'm walking by them because they reject the silver coins. I've found silver a few times. At my bank we have a coin counter that cost me nothing to use but I do tumble clean my clad before bring it to the bank. That machine has a magnet that pulls out many foriegn coins so I always check that when turning in coins and have filled a coffee can with coins from the magnet including quite a few steel 1943 Wheat pennies.

Good luck on getting that pinpointer.

NJ

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I could find one of the "oops, somebody's going to loose their job" 1943 bronze penny. Only made about 40, but EXTREMELY valuable. Which brings me to a good question... What is THE most valuable coin? I'll make a new post for this. Don't reply to it here.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread