Coinstar

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
"Hello, I'm new. I started CRH in earnest about three months ago. I'll post my finds next time.

But I have a question about Coinstar. Can you get a contract to unload the machines? Who does this. Also, how do you get bags of dimes. Does a normal bank have these?

Any help would be appreciated."

I'm assuming you mean the free coinstar/penny arcades in banks. From what I was told these are owned by the armored car companies.At one bank I was told that a vending company owned the machine.
Most banks have bags of coins. When they get enough hand rolled coin, they break them down and put them in bags to be shipped off. Some have their own coin counters in a back room and send off the bags when they are full.
You can always ask for a bag of dimes. Some will sell you a bag. In my experience most won't sell a bag. The tellers will give you all sorts of silly reasons why they can't sell the bags. The bottom line is that at some point when they were selling the bags some jerk complained that his $1000.00 bag of dimes was $.20 short.
I have one bank where I can get bags of any coin except halves. The halves are for the tellers.
Always ask for a bag when you go to a bank. You may get lucky and get one.
Check out the first post on this forum for new CRH. There are great tips there.
HH
Rich

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
obsessedwithsilver said:
Hello, I'm new. I started CRH in earnest about three months ago. I'll post my finds next time.

But I have a question about Coinstar. Can you get a contract to unload the machines? Who does this. Also, how do you get bags of dimes. Does a normal bank have these?

Any help would be appreciated.
If you are talking about actually "coinstar" machines in grocery stores and walmart, dont bother. they are set to a strict acceptance of coins(so they dont get loaded with foriegn and slugs) they reject silver coins. So pretty much you wont find the silver you are looking for.
Jason

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read that in another recent post that the Coinstar in Florida was being handled by Brinks, which answered the question about why proofs were in the Brinks boxes, but not the Loomis boxes. Something about children stealing from parents and dumping in Coinstars.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread