Colonial Action!!!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been researching the colonial and Revolutionary-era history of my area, which was pretty active at that time, and I've already made some really exciting discoveries.

Twice in the last week I've hiked into the woods to check out a particular waterfront spot that was heavily traveled as far back as the early 1600s. What initially drew me was a cellar hole I had heard about, but I soon found out there's much more than that to be had.

Each time I visited this week, with my XLT set to relic mode, I briefly hit the shoreline (which is fairly wooded, then turns into a swampy wetland), and each time I hit a large signal about four feet from shore that registered in the +55 - +60 range. Out there I'm happy to dig, but I was even happier when each time I dug parts of old colonial shoe buckles! This is in about one hour's time total at these spots!

I've posted a pic below. The piece on the right (called a chape) is definitely the older of the two -- its pattern and size probably date it from 1660-1720; while the one on left may be a little younger (could be anywhere from 1660 - 1790), what's awesome about that is three pieces of it are nearly intact -- while bent, the chape and tongue are still partially joined, by the original pin!

In my research I found a great link to a comprehensive guide to buckles. Definitely check this out:

http://www.netmarshall.co.uk/buckletitlepage.htm

I can't wait to hit this spot again. And this time, I'm going to skip the clearings and cellar holes for now, and solely focus on the shoreline. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Brendan

Attachments

• Buckles small low res.JPG
    Buckles small low res.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
sweeeeet, ;D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D now thats really cool,, and a great site too, all the best on the return trip,,, keep em comin.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs and great web site.This site helps me out alot. I have a few that I have found in the last year or so that that I could not ID. Thanks much. :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and that site sounds really exciting.

Do you know of any buckle information sources for 19th and early 20th century buckles?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions