What's new

Colonial or Confederate? Solved

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Confederate camp I'm searching happens to sit on a Colonial site. This said, and while I think the depicted are buttons, I can't figure out the period. Zouave buttons maybe? The one on the right is an obvious oddity--and no it's not a washer! :wink: Thanks for checking them out and, who knows, maybe they aren't even buttons...
 

Attachments

  • unknown34.webp
    unknown34.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 298
Re: Colonial or Confederate?

Rando said:
The three on the left are seals for nails on a metal roof.
Late 1800s to probably 1950s.

They went over the head of the nail and it was hammered into the roof, it sealed the gap between the nail and the hole it made in the metal sheet.

The one on the right is (not so sure) another form but designed to go under the nail head...

Wow, far less glamorous. Would these seals be made of lead? Thanks for the insight.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Colonial or Confederate?

Rando hit the nail on the head. :wink: Lead nail heads. I find a lot of them. If you're on a confederate camp you will need to dig every one. If there was a house or barn there in the past, there could be hundreds of them. :-\

I'm not sure about the item on the right. I have found them exactly like that before but don't know what they are. I assumed some sort of weight but seal for a nail sounds good too. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom