Colonial Prints Need Help!!

codye

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Painting 1.jpg Painting.jpg

I have searched for information about these 2 printers but no luck. I believe they may go back to early 1900's but not sure. No artist name on the Ben Franklin but the other from what I can make out shows
initials J.L.C.

If anyone has information I would appreciate it or where I can go to find information.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

The first print is from an original work titled ā€œFranklinā€™s Bookshop, 1745ā€ by the artist Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, born in Philadelphia in 1863 (died 1930); not to be confused with the French artist Jean-LĆ©on GĆ©rĆ“me after whom he was named. Heā€™s most famous for his series of 78 scenes from American history, collectively titled ā€œThe Pageant of a Nationā€. His work has been very heavily reproduced as prints all the way through to modern day, so quite difficult to date.

The second doesnā€™t ring any bells. I donā€™t see the initials ā€˜J.L.Cā€™ that youā€™re referring to but the signature bottom right appears to be ā€œC. Pistilliā€? There have been several artists with the Pistilli surname but none signing with a ā€˜Cā€™ for their Christian name that I can think of.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: the building in the background of the second print is St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy. That at least would fit with an Italian artist name such as Pistilli.

OP
OP
C

codye

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the artist name on the 1st print.

Artist1.jpg

OP
OP
C

codye

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the artist name on 2nd print.

Artist.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think youā€™re muddling up the two pictures. You said: ā€œNo artist name on the Ben Franklin but the other from what I can make out shows initials J.L.C.ā€ What I see is this.

The print of ā€œFranklinā€™s Bookshop, 1745ā€ has this artist signature:

Ferris.jpg

Youā€™re reading it as ā€œJ.L.Cā€ but it isnā€™t. As I said, the artist who originally painted this picture was Jean Leon Gerome Ferris and the signature accordingly reads ā€œJ.L.G. Feā€¦ā€ with the rest of the signature ā€œā€¦rrisā€ hidden behind the matte of the frame.

The print of the dandies in St Markā€™s Square in Venice (not a ā€˜colonialā€™ picture) has this signature in the bottom right corner:

Pistilli.jpg

I read it as ā€œC. Pistilliā€ (but I could be wrong). Nevertheless itā€™s not an artist I recognise and, although there were multiple ā€˜Pistillisā€™ working as artists at various times in the past, I canā€™t link the signature to any of them. If it is ā€˜Pistilliā€™ then itā€™s an Italian-type name which would be consistent with the subject. The print could have been produced anywhere.

OP
OP
C

codye

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread