Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Goshen lived up to its reputation as the land of milk and honey... and big a$$ bears. Well, actually, just bears. A sow and two cubs were working the cornfield where I was detecting, apparently eating the ears of cow corn missed by the harvester. I initially spotted them in the far corner and kept an eye on them. They were slowly making their way towards me, the Cubs oblivious to my presence. Mama bear was never threatening but I was afraid that I might spook them into the roadway where the SUVs were going around 55 in a 25mph zone, so I cut my hunt short. I was only finding square nails anyway. C0A57BAA-8210-4D4B-A771-4B573B98C4D8.jpeg
HH
dts
Sorry about the sideways picture.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have left to. In order to orient the picture right hold your phone horizontally not vertically. Works every time.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the phone tip. I’m obviously techno-challenged. (Along with all the other areas that I’m deficient in).
dts

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya, sow and 2 Cubs = leave now

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neck does not turn that far to see the picture, but I would pack my stuff if I were to see a bear.
We were set up this past weekend while metal detecting in the desert and came across some fresh kills of javelina (2) they were about 30 feet from where I parked . My guess it as a mountain lion getting lunch for her cubs. There was a deer less than a mile away picked to the bone. i have picture if you want them, but they are not for the week of heart.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Good you left. Momma bear can change her attitude quick and charge you just from a twig snapping. Boy!!...detecting sure can be risky, from sharks to bears, snakes and mountain lions to people and numerous other things.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If you enlarge the photo (put the cursor on the photo and click) it straightens itself out! Cool pic!

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Good you left. Momma bear can change her attitude quick and charge you just from a twig snapping. Boy!!...detecting sure can be risky, from sharks to bears, snakes and mountain lions to people and numerous other things.

You’re absolutely correct! Our little Irish Jack Russell terrier hates them and will go right after them (I NEVER intentionally let her out when there’s a bear around but sometimes the bear surprises us) and I’ve witnessed the bear getting PO’d enough where they make a false charge at my pup. They move like lightning. I figure that they can cover 25-30 feet before I could even react and try to run. Considering that my dog is much faster than me, guess who that would leave in the danger zone. I’ve also seen them go up trees as fast as a squirrel. They have my deepest respect.
dts

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
If you enlarge the photo (put the cursor on the photo and click) it straightens itself out! Cool pic!

Thanks for the tip. I can stop straining my neck to view sideways pictures.
dts

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh ya, sow and 2 Cubs = leave now

Especially since the cubs seemed oblivious to my presence and were getting closer and closer. And the sow (like most women) was starting to dislike me more and more!
dts

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If she would have been concerned, she would most likely have sent
her cubs back into the woods, behind her.

Ever heard a bear popping it's teeth together? When concerned
or nervous bears will snap their jaws together several times. You
hear that, it's time to begin a slow, backwards retreat.

Part of the issue with the pic was the image size, so I reduced
it from roughly 2.5MB down to about 800kb.

There is an adjustable setting on your phone for the image size. I believe yours is set
to the largest image size (3024 x 4032), making for very large file sizes and huge images.
Images would post better (correct side up) if you reset that to something along the lines of
1000x800 (or thereabouts). Images would still be plenty big for internet use without any
degrading of the photo, and they would load and post much faster.

C0A57BAA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Mike! Now the picture is much better. Yes, I’ve heard them jaw-popping at my dog. That’s when she’s on her own with the bear. We’ve been lucky so far that none have swiped at her. Between the bears and the porcupines, I’m afraid an emergency trip to the vet is possible if her luck runs out. Thus far she’s never run into a sow with cubs. That’s an entirely different ball game.
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread