What's new

Comparison beteween Equinox 800 and E-trac

PullTabPete

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
836
Reaction score
938
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have missed if there is another thread on this topic, but was wondering if anyone has went from the E-Trac to Equinox 800 and how the two compare.

I have had the E-trac for about 8 years and really like it, but even using the stock 11 inch coil my arm tires pretty fast. Yesterday I was using my coiltek WOT coil and was tired after only an hour. I like using the big coil, but damn it is heavy.

I have heard the EQ 800 is lighter and better balanced. Just wondering how this detector compares to the E-trac on performance and any other input you may have. It is obviously priced significantly less the E-trac so wondering how the depth and features compare.

Thanks,

Pete
 
That's exactly what I did, went from the Etrac to the Equinox 800. The Etrac doesn't get much use now. I do like the numbering system better on the Etrac and the Etrac's way of dealing with EMI seems more effective, but, other than that, I like the Equinox better. Being much lighter and waterproof is a definite plus. The detection depth seems comparable to me using the same approximate size coil. To me, the transition from the Etrac to the Nox wasn't a big deal. Took me maybe 50 hours before I was comfortable with it. Oh, one other thing, the Equinox will find the tiny gold targets much better than the Etrac. :icon_thumleft:
 
Last edited:
Thanks Mark.

The wireless headphone sound like a big plus as well as the waterproof too. Do you have the 15 inch coil also, I'm sure I would eventually end up getting that and the 6 inch at some point.
 
Yup, love the wireless headphones, and I have all 3 coils. :icon_thumleft:
 
Equinox 800 due to arrive tomorrow along with the 15 and 6 inch coils.

Can't wait to get out this weekend.
 
I had the Etrac - cranked my elbow pretty quickly. Got the CTX and sold the Etrac here. I could swing the CTX for hours longer than the Etrac. Still have the CTX, but got the EQ800 as well = far more comfortable on the elbow, and I've not seen any real difference in capabilities.

Note that I do not use either the CTX or the EQ in the water. My modded Excal II (at Kellyco) takes care of the water for me, love it!

Edit: Further note that I actually prefer my Tesoro Tejon over either the CTX or EQ dirt digging = fully capable machine, and basically a beep & dig. After you've swung one for a while, you learn the good vs bad targets by sound alone.
 
Last edited:
I don't know......I've found a lot of good targets in the dirt that had sketchy sounds to rely on sound alone. I like to have some sort of target I.D. and a depth reading to add to the mix before I decide to strain myself digging it up.
 
I plan on keeping the E-trac and still have an Excall II , but I'm sure I will at least try the Equinox in the water.

I agree with Mark that I like using the TID as well as the sound.

Do you guys use the 5 tones or 50? I figure I'll try both out and see what I like better. I plan to start out running pretty much factory settings and just ground balance before I tinker with much.
 
In most situations, I like to use 50 tone and all metal.
 
You're all set on detectors that should cover just about every aspect of MDing. Good luck!
 
You're all set on detectors that should cover just about every aspect of MDing. Good luck!


Yeah I think so, had to talk myself into whether I really needed another detector.

Still compared to some folks on here, I'm just getting started.
 
I went with the 50 tones, wanted to hear everything about the target before I got mud on my knees...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom