Confederate cannon

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
There is a cannon they are calling a confederate 3 incher. I don't think it is real. I think that if it was real, in the condition it is in, people would have it bid so high that no one could afford it. 13.JPG

It is a fake isn't it?

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am afraid you have given us nothing to go on here. How high did it bid? Closer pics? For all we know this is a toy canon

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Here is the description.

3" Southern Civil War Cannon. Cannon with Wheels weighs about 1,000 lbs.

It is at 650 right now with 7 day left.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw link... looks real to me.

Looks like period... perhaps has been indoor kept until now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a guess, 1960's centennial reenactment piece. My father reenacted the centennial and lots of the guys made their own cannons.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the description.

3" Southern Civil War Cannon. Cannon with Wheels weighs about 1,000 lbs.

It is at 650 right now with 7 day left.

Most civil war cannons had the year stamped quite large on the business end.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Well, I went and looked at it today. They drilled out the touch hole and tapped in a rather large bolt. The carriage is a wreck that they tossed some paint on and the wheels are held on by about 2 threads on the shaft. All of the accessories are concrete tools. It is definitely a replica like Smokythecat said. My friend wanted it to fire. You could not pay me to touch one off on that thing. And I am an Artillery man.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I may make a suggestion, they could carry this gun to Washington D.C. and let Nancy Pelosi test fire this gun. She's fearless, along with another few choice words that I will not elaborate on.:usflag::usflag:. Chuck Schumer and Schiff ca Bob could serve on the gun alongside of the squeaker....I mean speaker.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An actual civil war era 3"-caliber cannon would have rifling-grooves in its bore. None are visible on this cannon.

Its reported weight suggests it is an iron cannon -- not a movie prop made of plastic, nor a battle-reenactor Reproduction made of cast-aluminum. As such, a cannon of this size is worth more than a couple of hundered dolalrs. But as Faribo indicated, firing it on that rickety carriage even with a "blank" charge would be extremely unsafe.

Just doing some theoretical exploration of possible identifications... it might be a Colonial Era 3-Pounder caliber smoothbore, whose bore diameter was 2.9-inches. But this one differs from most cannons of that era, in that its body lacks any decorative features, such as raised bands/rings, except for a single one (called an astragal) encircling its muzzle.

As such, somebody "overpaid" by more than a little bit, as the now-closed auction reports that the winning bid was $2,910. When the winner finds out it was seriously misrepresented (as being a Confederate cannon), that's legal grounds for a full refund.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Where the trunions are attached to the gun, you can see weld. Really good weld, but modern weld none the less.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
OK, so you guys clearly know your stuff. My friend did not bid on it.

Do any of you know where he can find a cannon that he can fire on the farm? That is what he is looking for.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting for sure.

So CannonballGuy, you are saying it could be a Colonial Era 3-Pounder caliber smoothbore mounted on a more modern carriage? Possibly?
Except the
astragal is not correct for that style?

What where the Colonial Era 3-Pounder caliber smoothbore cannons often mounted? Were these naval cannon, infantry or what exactly?

I am not cannon knowledgeable but like learning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions