Confederate Gold

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wife is out and the kids are asleep so I'm getting caught up on watching my DVRed history shows. I noticed that tomorrow night at 10pm the new Brad Meltzer's Decoded is on and they are searching for a hoard of confederate gold. I'm sure this will be just for entertainment but should be interesting.

NJ

Upvote 0

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen the show, and these guys are pretty good at getting to the bottom of things. In the preview to the show I saw a guy working a metal detector. It should be worth tuning in.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Yeah, I saw the advertisement for it. That would be the History Channel at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The episode was a bit of a yawn. They chased around some quack job and didn't do much of their own research. I left feeling disappointed.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D HA! Blame it on the KGC; Thank, HBB/BB for explaining the "clues"; have 'em up here in Lynchburg/Bedford County, Va., too. The Old City Cemetery has HUGE CSA "section" with the same kinds of signs on trees; the Beale Treasure is stated to be buried in OCC.
There is ALSO a RR track running next to OCC, too. :icon_thumleft: ;D :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :wink:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt dumber after watching this show too. The best part was the weird chick who kept insinuating that the treasure could be used to fund a new war against the U.S. by some new KGC group. I think she was making a case for the interest of national security to stop the tea party. Oh yea honey, a million will fund it, YOU BETCHA. ::)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also found the show a little boring and some of the connections between signs pretty far fetched. The gazebo they were looking at only looked to be 10-20 years old. There may have been a gazebo there over a hundred years ago but they never addressed that. I don't know Bob Brewer but he came across as a crackpot. I was wondering what caches he found that they kept referring to...Franklin, is that part of what he found? Did you work with him?

NJ

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Well I for one was not expecting to be told were a huge cache of Confederate bullion was. If BB or anyone else knew that info they would be silly to tell so I was not surprised by the lack of details. I had fun watching it although the girl was irritating. A thoroughly satisfying entertainment venture. Two thumbs up :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: for the History Channel.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like the History Channel and I did not expect them to find anything but I thought it could have been done alot better.

Albert,
Thanks for the information. What part of VA are you in? I've never hunted there but I sometimes hunt just south of VA in northern NC. Mostly beach hunting looking for shipwreck coins.
NJ

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Thunderbird and some letters above it...just not sure what letters they are other than an M M
I would take some tracing paper and lay over the letters and see if I could determine what they are.
Look for plat map for your area Might match up to
your letters on tree. Go the direction bird is looking. Holes may be woodpecker.......

paintersalley said:
I am new to this forum, joined because I was searching for information. I viewed Decoded the other night. Bob Brewer was explaining the carvings on Native Holly Trees. I got all excited, as I have a 200+ year old holly tree in my front yard here in West Tennessee. For the last 38 years I've wondered what the carvings were. They don't spell anything, just odd. After reading your posts, I am discouraged, maybe my tree doesn't have anything to say? I'm posting pics to see what you think.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: GOOD "pics", p.a.; West Tenn... parsonage, letters like MAYBE... initials of names. Look for ppl with W.V., C.W., M.H. "names", and M.M. from 1847 + years. I would ALSO go in the direction that the THUNDERBIRD looks, and pay CLOSE attention to old dried-up well(s), which can be used as VAULTS for NICE treasure(s). Good Luck! HH! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

Tully

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Georgia
These guys were way off . They didn't do ANY real research. Anyone with a library card could have come up with better and documented information than they did. I have been studying the Confedreate Treasury for 25 years. I found the things they were discussing in the first 15 minutes......!And for the record......I believe the Mexican coins are further south but still hidden.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tully said:
These guys were way off . They didn't do ANY real research. Anyone with a library card could have come up with better and documented information than they did. I have been studying the Confedreate Treasury for 25 years. I found the things they were discussing in the first 15 minutes......!And for the record......I believe the Mexican coins are further south but still hidden.

How far south??? :wink:

Tully

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Georgia
In time. There is reason to believe that the silver mexican dollars were not left in Danville. At the same time, my research shows that when the treasury was split up...there were more than 3 fake treasures that were sent in different directions.

Tully

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Georgia
Believe as you are told. I will believe what i have seen. Mr.Clarke was not appointed acting treasurer until Mr.Davis appointed him in Washington,Georgia. Do a little bit more homework.

Tully

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Georgia
If thats so....why did he have to wait two days on Brekenridge and the treasurey to get to Washington the second time before he could"take charge of it",become treasury secratery, and get his first accounting of it. Brekenridge sent the Mexican coins past Washington after he paid out the wages for the troops. Clarke never saw them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread