cabinfever
Jr. Member
Continental army pewter USA button & colonial cuff-links
Pewters found along with 12 colonial era flat buttons (Dandy's) and the cuff-links. I originally believed the cufflinks were so cool that was my original post, but after reading messages from others I now realize the rarity of the button. I am learning a lot lately! The one pewter button is not readable, do you clean pewter to find if anything lies beneath or do you simply seal it to prevent further flaking? I wish I could tell what it says!!!
Thanks again for all of the advice and this website has been so incredibly helpful! I read it now all of the time and can't get enough of all of the stories and finds.
Thank you KyleofPA for the banner vote! New pictures of the buttons instead of the cufflinks!
Pewters found along with 12 colonial era flat buttons (Dandy's) and the cuff-links. I originally believed the cufflinks were so cool that was my original post, but after reading messages from others I now realize the rarity of the button. I am learning a lot lately! The one pewter button is not readable, do you clean pewter to find if anything lies beneath or do you simply seal it to prevent further flaking? I wish I could tell what it says!!!
Thanks again for all of the advice and this website has been so incredibly helpful! I read it now all of the time and can't get enough of all of the stories and finds.
Thank you KyleofPA for the banner vote! New pictures of the buttons instead of the cufflinks!
Attachments
Upvote
0

I need my tail out working and here I am again.Now after some sleep here is more on what I was saying.The other machines would do it.But after using them and reading on this GTI1500 I liked the fact that I could discriminate a object out and even get a idea of it's size before digging.So I went with it.Now after going with it (funny part) I put my self in these old places and find that I hunt in relic mode all the time.Which is all right it does knock out the smaller iron,but I find myself doing that cause of what I'm after the (old stuff).So one of the features I got it for I don't hardly use because in these areas if I get a good hit it's going to be old and I am going to at least want to put my hands on it to see and learn from.Saying that I'll say this here and i know it's different every were. I look for places that are remote and undesturbed away from all the trash signals,I hunt river shorelines mostly and some woods in the winter.River shores are easy to me cause no roots to chop through easy digging.And most of the land here has a clay layer around 10inchs or so what has fell off the banks are not going very deep they hit that hard clay and they stop right there no way they are going any deeper.Only problem is the clay it will make the machine do funny stuff sometime,like in a area that has a groove washed in it when I go over it she will signal most of the time and theses areas can be buried with a layer of sand so you don't see them all the time.The woods deal purdy much the same way here.I will say up in them I in my mine descriminate if it's a signal that seems to be under a massive root or something i think on it hard and try to figure if it is likly going to be something.Basing that on other things I am coming up with.Only other thing I can say is when I find a area I look the land over in my mine and try to lay the way things would look and work for a site such as ditches near by heavy trafic areas were I think the most was going on.Hard to explain but if you do it enough it starts coming to you with ease same with the detector.









