converting from water to metals

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High everyone! been on this reading threds a few different times and decided to post. A little backround--as a very young boy my grandfather tought me to douse for water with a branch from a sapling..it works 100% of the time--he had a well drill rig that he made and had many customers..think he took me to run the big pitcher pump being I was young and could work the 3' handle without getting tired..also used to help him put the dynamite into the pipe on occasion and blow out the bottom;; always let me touch it off using a big flashlite battery!!!! WAS VERY FUN!!!!-----------TO THAT END-Today I can still douse water very reliably Im 53...I have never used metal rods for detecting metal and I see on here that people load hheir rods specific to what they are looking for. what should I try for old colonial coins and silver and what type of metal for rods...if u could help ne let me know with a PM or post...thanks all for reading

OP
OP
JrMack

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply; I know that when I douse water even using a sapling I take off my rings; just taught to do this,,,its quite the feeling when the wood pulls sown so hard it will twist the bark off in my hands!!! wondering if I could make a metal one the same as a branch so it would pull down, has anyone ever done this? or have seen the dowser shaped like a Y made of metal? thanks

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad like the y fork to, he would cut a peach fork y from a young limb ,then he would split the tip and put a mercury dime in the split, and use it ,just like dowsing for water, but it was silver he was finding. l-rod work's the same,but y-fork you can feel the pull,and push.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is neet with the y fork and merc dime!

OP
OP
JrMack

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey now---I think that is a great idea with the dime!!!!!! Im going to try that, it seems to me sticking with something I know '" using a sapling y" combined with what Im looking for makes sense!!Won have to learn something a new way----its like the old saying stick with what you know!!! thanks

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many water dowsers complain about the difficulty of finding metals or other objects. Water is so abundant, most times you can be off a ways. Metals are a different deal. You have many times very tiny particles of minerals and metals and at least for map dowsing you have something like one is ten-thousand chance that it is not mineral or micro particles. Remember it is surface area and a gram of flour gold have more surface area than a one-ton block of gold. Yeah, it's easy to find a coin in your yard, but out in the field it blends in, you have many targets that appear large because the particles are spread out of an area and they link together in resonance.

I've used Y-rods and some places they are very popular. They are not as sensitive as a L-rod but if that is what you like then "Don't change horses in mid stream." Of course there is another saying "Never reverse a Custer decision." LOL

I've used silver coins as a witness. They work good on other silver coins but there are other metals there so the purity may be an issue. You can buy a pure silver coin at a coin shop. Prices are reasonable. If you can find some of my older posts I explain how I practice. Basically you close your eyes and cover your ears and spin around a few times then toss the coin, then spin around a few more times so you don't get any reference point as to where you tossed it. Then go find it with your rod. You can do the same thing for map dowsing--draw a picture of your yard then map dowse it for the coin. Now go out in the yard and dowse for it with the rod so you get your feedback. How hard is that? Anyone who really wants to improve if you can't do that you're a fraud.

This is one beef I have with the internet--you don't who you are talking to. So easy to hide your identity.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so people know, the reason people think the rod twisted so hard the bark came off is because the way the rod is held it is bent and there is energy stored like a spring. So if a response tips the rod, it's like a mouse trap going off. That said, there is no doubt a Y-rod can give a good response especially to water. Like all equipment, if you work with it you can find ways to use it the way you want to. One-handed, sideways, etc. Since water hits so hard, that is why many people use the Y-rod to sort of tone it down.

Also FYI, I highly suggest you read all you can. You will find tons of superstition from the "internet experts". There are many people who pretend they are experts, yes, particularly on this forum. As I said to one poster (more like "imposter" LOL) K.I.S.S. stands for Keep It Superstitious, Sugar. Most of the stuff you find on this forum is backwards stuff that's been watered down so far there is not even one atom left like some homeopathic remedy."Supersensonics" by Christopher Hills has more info than any other book. It's an accumulation of over 150 authors starting from the early 1900's in Europe. One of his students wrote "Alive To The Universe" that's easier to read. I can't imagine why anyone interested in locating would not just be craving for this knowledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JrMack

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey im just on here to try to figure out dowsing for the metal instead of water .....as to the sensitivity to using rods geese; ill have to see..my point is using a Y I know how it reacts by the pull and you check the whole area in a crossed grid pattern before u find the sweet spot----have hand drove a few in my time and you don't expend that much time and money on a whim!!! because I am experienced in a realistic manner!!!; I thought it would be an easy transition for me!!! I will most likely do a few experiments with rods to check it out---we all use different metal detectors and always looking for a better one to optimize our craft....as far as frauds and trolls on here ????????????? Im not claiming to be an expert that's why I just asked for help...

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my motto is what ever works best, try different approaches to things stay clear and open minded have a positive focus and most important thing have fun while doing it and even better if you find what your looking for even better................just my 2cents for what its worth LOL!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey im just on here to try to figure out dowsing for the metal instead of water .....as to the sensitivity to using rods geese; ill have to see..my point is using a Y I know how it reacts by the pull and you check the whole area in a crossed grid pattern before u find the sweet spot----have hand drove a few in my time and you don't expend that much time and money on a whim!!! because I am experienced in a realistic manner!!!; I thought it would be an easy transition for me!!! I will most likely do a few experiments with rods to check it out---we all use different metal detectors and always looking for a better one to optimize our craft....as far as frauds and trolls on here ????????????? Im not claiming to be an expert that's why I just asked for help...

You don't have to expend much money to build an L-rod, but with any locating the biggest expense is your time. Maybe you didn't read carefully, I said stick with the Y-rod. But I also said read as many books as you can because the phony "internet experts" have their agenda and their propaganda and there seems to be plenty of suckers out there to take their bait and fail. So yeah, they have been very successful at getting people to become disgusted and quit. Some day people will wake up and see what kind of crap goes on behind the scenes of these type forums--who is pulling the strings behind the curtain.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I am a Treasure Hunter. It is a hobby that I enjoy. When I Dowse I keep it simple. I don’t want to over load my mind with a bunch of stuff. Take any method that you want. Try it but give it a fair trial time. Don’t be afraid to try new method. Just give it a try. Remember that someday what failed today may be the answer you need on some other project….Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread