COOKING WITH BEER

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A FAUX CARBONADE FLAMANDE (BELGIAN FLEMISH POT ROAST)
The ideal beer to use in this recipe would be a Sezoen or Saison from Belgium,but I used a SHOCK TOP END of the WORLD MIDNIGHT WHEAT for its simular style spice content.
1.3lb boneless eye round roast
2.1lb bag of baby carrots
3. 2 stalks of celery diced
4.1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
5.1 large yellow onion peeled and diced
6.2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
7.1 envelope of onion soup mix
8.1 12oz of wheat beer
9.1 cup of tomato juice
10.2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
11.1 teaspoon of black pepper

Cut the roast into serving size portions.
Place the carrots,celery,green bell pepper,and onion into a slow cooker.
Place the meat pieces on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with onion soup mix and black pepper.
Add the beer,tomato juice,Worcestershire to a bowl and mix well.
Pour into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Similar to my Irish Pot Roast except I use whatever beer we happen to be drinking on that day. :)

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Similar to my Irish Pot Roast except I use whatever beer we happen to be drinking on that day. :)
Guinness Stout works well with an Irish Pot Roast!
Another beer to try is THEAKSTON's OLD PECULIER from MASHAM,Yorkshire,UK.It is an old style ale made from pale and crystal malts,wheat,brewers' caramel and three sugars.Several hop varieties are used,including Northern Brewer and dry hopped with Fuggles,and the yeast strain is a 40 year mixed strain,which gives this ale a soft fruitiness,somewhat like blackcurrents.It imparts a great taste to the meat.
Do you have any other recipies with beer?

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Honestly I put beer or wine in almost everything I cook especially chili, pasta sauce and my vegetable beef soup.

One thing that is especially good is poached salmon in beer. Don't use Gunness or a dark ale. Use a pale ale. Get a good sized salmon filet at Costco or somewhere. Melt a couple of tablespoons of margarine in a saute' pan. Then put in 1 or 2 beers and add 2 tablespoons of dried dill (or fresh if you have it), 1 tablespoon of parsley, a pinch of garlic, salt, and squeeze a half of a lemon in. Stir it gently while it heats up on medim heat. Once the liquid is hot but not boiling put the salmon filet in the pan and turn the stove down to medium low and let it gently simmer until done. Make sure the fish is pretty much covered by the liquid. Then just take it out and serve it on a platter with lemon wedges. I usually serve my homemade tartar sauce on the side.

I usually serve the poached salmon and bacon wrapped quail at my annual St Paddy's Day dinner. Everone seems to love it.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever cooked with a Belgian lambic?They are a wild yeast fermented sour mash wheat beer with fruit added to the last fermentation-cherry,raspberry or peach.Lindemans peach lambic is my wife's favorite.These beers are NOT to be compared with American fruit beers which do not come close at all.
The Restaurant Le Bruegel,Damme,Belgium serves a Terrine of pork with cherries marinated in Kriek (cherry) lambic,served with a salad dressed in lambic,and accompanied with a glass of gueze(a blend of young and old lambic beers that undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle and has a sparkle like champagne.
I do appreciate you sharing your recipe,and I hope others join in with theirs.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dixiegal said:
Honestly I put beer or wine in almost everything I cook especially chili, pasta sauce and my vegetable beef soup.

One thing that is especially good is poached salmon in beer. Don't use Gunness or a dark ale. Use a pale ale. Get a good sized salmon filet at Costco or somewhere. Melt a couple of tablespoons of margarine in a saute' pan. Then put in 1 or 2 beers and add 2 tablespoons of dried dill (or fresh if you have it), 1 tablespoon of parsley, a pinch of garlic, salt, and squeeze a half of a lemon in. Stir it gently while it heats up on medim heat. Once the liquid is hot but not boiling put the salmon filet in the pan and turn the stove down to medium low and let it gently simmer until done. Make sure the fish is pretty much covered by the liquid. Then just take it out and serve it on a platter with lemon wedges. I usually serve my homemade tartar sauce on the side.

I usually serve the poached salmon and bacon wrapped quail at my annual St Paddy's Day dinner. Everone seems to love it.

This sounds wonderful Dixiegal. I'm not much on salmon but it seems the beer would add a little something something to it to brighten up the flavors.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should try the "salmon with tomatoes" recipe on allrecipes.com, coilygirl. Delicious and simple!

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this post was about etiquette, or what hand to hold the beer in while cooking :laughing7:

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
DEVNER'S WYNKOOP BREW PUB GORGONZOLA ALE SOUP

2lbs red potatoes,peeled and chopped
1 yellow onion,peeled and chopped
2 qts water
1 12 oz IPA ale (Sierra Nevada PALE ALE)
2 cups chicken broth
5 oz Gorgonzola cheese
1 cup half & half cream
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
Place potatoes and onion in pot with water and bring to a boil.Simmer until potatoes are completely soft,about 45 min.Strain potaores and keep water in reserve.
Let potatoes cool slighty and puree in a food processor,adding potato water if needed until it is smooth.
Return to pot and heat,adding the beer,chicken broth,half & half cream,a gorgonzola cheese until it is melted.
The Wynkoop serves this with a beer bread,but any crusty loaf of French bread with do.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECS,

Good recipe....we do the carbonade Flamande on a regular basic...pretty much stick with the basic recipe....I'll have to give this one a whirl.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
VENISON VERSION

A FAUX CARBONADE FLAMANDE (BELGIAN FLEMISH POT ROAST)
The ideal beer to use in this recipe would be a Sezoen or Saison from Belgium,but I used a SHOCK TOP END of the WORLD MIDNIGHT WHEAT for its simular style spice content.
1.3lb boneless eye round roast
2.1lb bag of baby carrots
3. 2 stalks of celery diced
4.1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
5.1 large yellow onion peeled and diced
6.2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
7.1 envelope of onion soup mix
8.1 12oz of wheat beer
9.1 cup of tomato juice
10.2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
11.1 teaspoon of black pepper

Cut the roast into serving size portions.
Place the carrots,celery,green bell pepper,and onion into a slow cooker.
Place the meat pieces on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with onion soup mix and black pepper.
Add the beer,tomato juice,Worcestershire to a bowl and mix well.
Pour into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Instead of beef:
Marinate venison overnight in 12 oz of beer.
Add 3/4 cup of pearled barley between vegtables and meat.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of beef:
Marinate venison overnight in 12 oz of beer.
Add 3/4 cup of pearled barley between vegtables and meat.

That really sounds awesome. Thank you for providing the recipe!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
SLOW COOKER VOODOO GUMBO

16oz Purdue Grilled carved chicken
1 lb Aidells Cajan Andoudille
8oz diced ham
8oz precooked shrimp(add during the final 15 min.)
I 12oz Dixie Blackened VooDoo Lager (or Negro Modelo)
16 oz of chicken broth
16 oz cut okra
2-cans of diced tomatos
12oz of tomato paste
1-large green pepper diced
1-large Vidalia onion diced
3-TBS minced garlic
3- celery ribs cut into blocks
11/4 tsp salt
2tsp parsely flakes
2tsp basil
11/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp Randy Wayne White's Captiva Sunrise Mojo Rojo hot sauce (added during last hour)-or your choice of hot sauce.
Place all ingredients except shrimp and hot sauce into a large slow cooker-first hour on high,then 5 hours on low.Add hot sauce and shrimp as noted,and serve over a bed of rice.
NOTE:Captiva Sunrise Mojo Rojo is made from red ripe wood fired Amazon chiles.and has a great flavour.Randy Wayne White is the Florida author of the DOC FORD book series.
www.docford.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
16oz Purdue Grilled carved chicken
1 lb Aidells Cajan Andoudille
8oz diced ham
8oz precooked shrimp(add during the final 15 min.)
I 12oz Dixie Blackened VooDoo Lager (or Negro Modelo)
16 oz of chicken broth
16 oz cut okra
2-cans of diced tomatos
12oz of tomato paste
1-large green pepper diced
1-large Vidalia onion diced
3-TBS minced garlic
3- celery ribs cut into blocks
11/4 tsp salt
2tsp parsely flakes
2tsp basil
11/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp Randy Wayne White's Captiva Sunrise Mojo Rojo hot sauce (added during last hour)-or your choice of hot sauce.
Place all ingredients except shrimp and hot sauce into a large slow cooker-first hour on high,then 5 hours on low.Add hot sauce and shrimp as noted,and serve over a bed of rice.
NOTE: Captiva Sunrise Mojo Rojo is made from red ripe wood fired Amazon chiles. and has a great flavor. Randy Wayne White is the Florida author of the DOC FORD book series.
Randy Wayne White, author of the bestselling Doc Ford and Hannah Smith novels
PS: This recipe requires one of the larger crock pots.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I will try those recipes. For myself, we cook our chicken with Guinness, but it can be any beer of your choice (a dark tasty beer ideally). Really easy and quick.
- Start the oven at 350F
- Open your favourite beer can (has to be a big one), drink half of it.
- Make your own spices mix, rub the chicken with it and put the rest in the beer can.
- Put a dripping pan in the oven, put the beer can on the pan and sit the chicken on the beer can.
- Chicken is ready when leg bone is turning loose. Enjoy!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus53, the etiquette is to not touch your beer with your hands, must use a straw :headbang:
More seriously, I'll have to try the carbonade recipe with Guinness, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread