Copper Buckle help with age and type. Please

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old copper buckle about a week ago at a site out in the middle of the woods that a home site was supposed to be. The site shows on a 1915 map. Have reason to believe the site could be as old as 1850's. Help in Identifying the age of this buckle would give better understanding of the history of the surrounding area. Thank you for you time, expertise and interest. Copper Buckel.jpg Copper Buckel back.jpg Copper Buckel side.jpg copper Buckel CLASP.jpg copperBuckel Teeth.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's too big to be a suspender buckle, so I'm thinking 1930s - 40s belt buckle.
Almost looks like it's been in a fire due to the 'black' colour of the brass. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, thank you for replying. You have helped me in the past. I really wanted to bring it to your attention that this buckle is not brass it is copper. It is very easy to bend and it has no makers mark. I don't know enough about when there were just copper buckles as opposed to Brass buckles. Also, I don't know when or if there were people making buckles that didn't need to have makers marks or patent information. Maybe the fact that it is copper and that it has no marks on it means it is before the patent office existed? When ever that was. I just know it's copper.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, thank you for replying. You have helped me in the past. I really wanted to bring it to your attention that this buckle is not brass it is copper. It is very easy to bend and it has no makers mark. I don't know enough about when there were just copper buckles as opposed to Brass buckles. Also, I don't know when or if there were people making buckles that didn't need to have makers marks or patent information. Maybe the fact that it is copper and that it has no marks on it means it is before the patent office existed? When ever that was. I just know it's copper.

Good morning Alan,

The main problem when it comes to identifying an object, is the only person who's able to actually handle the piece is the person who found it. I've found a lot of suspender buckles/clips over the years, so it's often the easiest assumption to make that buckles of this size are 'suspender' related. In reality, this may have had any number of functions. Personally, I've never found a copper suspender buckle, but the construction of yours looks heavy duty, so it's original intended function is anybodies guess really. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry gentleman, I was absolutely wrong, I scratched the buckle and it is indeed brass. I can never get the difference when things bend so easily. Thanks for helping.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Alan, interesting find!

I agree with Dave re the dark color indicating high temperature exposure. That would also explain the ease with which it bends. It's been annealed, softened, by the fire. It looks a little light to be a utility belt of some king and the little tab in the middle looks like it was designed to use a second. loop, piece for the other end of the belt.

I'm going lady's sash buckle.

Nice find and good luck!

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To anneal (soften) brass or any base metal it must be quenched quickly. Just the opposite of steel.

When brass is quenched quickly it loses most of it's fire scale in the quench. Black brass is not something you will find on a fire annealed piece and soft brass was not cooled slowly as it would be in a house fire.

The "buckle" is made of sheet brass - not cast as most buckles are. The fact that it has not been stamp pressed like most belt and suspender buckles made of brass sheet leads me to believe it was probably intended to be used in a more gentle environment. The buckle for a light curtain tie or a map tube ribbon closure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, Thank you for the post. The fact that it bent so easily and the fact that I also thought it was made from sheet Copper and that it had no makers Patent date or mark of any kind is the reason I thought it might be older than the early 19teens. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread