What's new

Copper Cents? What do you guys think about them

billyg5955

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I got a 25 dollar box from my local bank all hand wrapped. i found a nice arrangement of cents including 15 wheats, 1911 being the earliest, and 1939 being the oldest, i found 1 teen,7 twenties, and 7 30's, also i noticed the rolls were enriched with copper cents 20-40 in every roll. so i took all of them out of the rolls, 17 rolls in all to add to my 10 rolls i already had. i was thinking about selling them on feebay what do you think?
 
Upvote 0
mcgearhead said:
If you are talking about the 1982 or 1984 and back I was wandering the same thing. As I have a bunch of these,and heard they are worth 2 cents , but I got to thinking about it and you would have to have a huge stash to really make any kind of money from selling them. That is if anyone is buying.



It is 82 and i gave it the go ahead to put it on feebay 55 cents to even put it on the dang site, but within the first few hours got a opening bid of 13.50 of course that is the face value but i kind of expect to make at least 20-25 but who knows at least face value i will make maybe a dollar lol! ;D
 
ive got a few buckets stashed just in case....even if it never happens there always worth a penny
 
I'm working on my second coffee can full from pocket change. I gave up sorting them boxes long ago. HH Mark
 
I was planning on putting some boxes of copper pennies on e-bay. Since copper has dropped some I am holding off.
 
The only ones I get are MDing. I spin them up at the bank. Not worth the hassle.
 
A friend of mine and myself got together and hunted some copper rolls out of boxes and the like. We had almost $150 in copper face between the two of us. We put up an auction for $100 in face on ebay but weren't getting ANY hits, even with the starting bid being one cent UNDER face value. The shipping was quite respectable as well considering the weight of that $100 box (HEAVY!!). We ended up doing a bit more research and saw smaller lots of $25-50 sell faster, so we ended the auction.

Never got around to relisting. He took his $55 in face back to his place, and I still have my like $75+ sitting in my Dad's garage. I may try a relist, or could just cash them at a bank... or could let them sit. Will see how desperate for money I become. ;)

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
A friend of mine and myself got together and hunted some copper rolls out of boxes and the like. We had almost $150 in copper face between the two of us. We put up an auction for $100 in face on ebay but weren't getting ANY hits, even with the starting bid being one cent UNDER face value. The shipping was quite respectable as well considering the weight of that $100 box (HEAVY!!). We ended up doing a bit more research and saw smaller lots of $25-50 sell faster, so we ended the auction.

Never got around to relisting. He took his $55 in face back to his place, and I still have my like $75+ sitting in my Dad's garage. I may try a relist, or could just cash them at a bank... or could let them sit. Will see how desperate for money I become. ;)

~Dave


Dave,
I have a auction online right now and within the first day i had a offer for the face value, i have 27 rolls online and my auction is up to 15.50 within the first two days i expect it will hit 20 or 25. not making anything on shipping, but at least i will make 7-13 bucks just for taking a couple hours out of my night to search. HH -Bill
 
Seems to be a $20-25 above face premium per $50 in copper listed. Too much more than that doesn't seem feasible as there were multiple $100 face auctions with buy it nows from like 160-180 that didn't get a single bid or the buy it now used.

My logic was that if you had a big auction for $100+ in face as opposed to multiple 25's or 50 dollar auctions that you would draw in more buyers. As people who want to invest in copper would want more than just a LITTLE of it, and they would save immensly on shipping by buying it all at once...

But apparently that logic was immensely flawed for some reason, because my auction for a $100 with sub $10 shipping (flat rate box) didn't garner a single bid with a starting big of 99.99.

Who knows...

~Dave
 
Dave, i agree with you, the copper hoarders (which i must say i hoard it to, for the hope that it will one day reach the price that silver is currently at per once, lol will never happen!) :tongue3: are not saving any cash when it comes down to it. they will have to pay shipping on a lousy 13.50 face of copper. witch only weighs 8 some pounds. but it just seems like the smaller auctions are getting the better price. not only that but you have lower ebay fees witch is always a plus. do what i did and break your hoard down into a good size 10,15,20,25 pound auction and i think you will get the maximum price for your coins. not only that but you will rack up on shipping. HH Bill
 
Thanks for the advice... I will really have to look into what type of face to offer per auction and then how much to charge on shipping for each to cover things.

Good luck with your auction!

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Thanks for the advice... I will really have to look into what type of face to offer per auction and then how much to charge on shipping for each to cover things.

Good luck with your auction!

~Dave


Thanks for the luck i might need it Dave.
There are alot of 50 dollar bags on ebay plus the 25 boxes so i thought i would do something different than everyone else, i think that might get more attention. I am only charging 5.00, i can fit all the rolls in a flat rate envelope, if you are selling upwords of 25 dollars i would charge 10.00 and ship it in a flat rate box. i am a firm believer that the lower the shipping the higher your selling price will be. Good luck figuring some things out and maybe i will be seeing your coppers on ebay some time soon. Good Luck and HH. Bill
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom