Copper Ingot ?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
After reading the reply from Patina from my last post I've been keeping an eye out for copper ingots. Think that I may have found one , found it right on top of some gravel in the river across from where I found my last piece. It's around 3 1/2" long, 1" wide, and 3/4" thick. I didn't really clean this one at all because it was right on top in the water so it's condition is just as it was when I found it. I would like to thank Patina, sure I wouldn't have given it any thought without his advice.

Attachments

• DSC07790.JPG
    DSC07790.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Re: Cooper Ingot ?

That's to cool :o We don't see stuff like that around here. Thanks for the look, Ray

P

patina

Re: Cooper Ingot ?

Bravo,... Bravo!
What you have maybe more than just a preform bar. The word ingot in the dictionary relates to casting of pieces in shapes for future use & trade. Since there never has been any proof of casting by these people the correct term would be just a preform. There is no terminology, I address them as ingots, but in a hammered version not cast as the dictionary indicates.
I assume it came in very high on your machine, if so it is copper with water stained patina. You may have a adze. Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like the left edge slopes up to form a bit meeting the top edge. If so, it maybe a adze shown upside down. If the top & bottom both slope & form a bit in the middle it maybe a form of celt/spud. Would need to see more pictures from different angles. In any case the right side shows damage. Look for smaller flattened preforms the size of a quarter or less. You may have already found some.
.....Patina www.treasuredigs.com

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
It did come in at the highest on my detector, I never thought that I would find nearly as much as what I have found in copper so I didn't invest in a high end machine, I'm using a Whites Prizm II. I did notice that the one end on it narrowed and came to somewhat of a point. Once the weather improves and theres some better sun light I will get some more pictures of it posted.

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Re: Copper Ingot, Photo Update

Very sorry for the delay, got fed up with my old camera and gave in and bought a D-SLR so I could get better pictures.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 223
P

patina

Thanks for the pictures. Sure tells a different story from other angles. It is neither an adze or celt. The closest finished tool it resembles is a possible broken mandrel. Mandrels were used to form the conicals & sockets on implements.They also were used to form the step up in these sockets. If it is a mandrel by the looks of it, keep hunting hard. Since this one has square tapered sides it would have been used for large manufacture of squared sockets found in spuds & socketed triangulates. You may find the big piece that was created by this possible mandrel if you are lucky. You can read more about mandrels & their use in the last Central States Arch. Journal. The author wrote about seven complete sets of mandrels & possible finished implement candidates from my found collection. Just something else to keep an eye out for when out & about. Thanks & hope this helps identify your piece....Patina www.treasuredigs.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread