Copper Pickaxe medal/pendant.....

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone I found this today while metal detecting in my back yard, my home is in Brookline N.H. and was built in 1860. It has what im thinking is a pickaxe and what also looks to me to be a pile of rocks on the front with blank reverse. It is made of copper and weighs 5.5 grams on my scale.

pickaxe.jpeg noidea.jpeg

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fantastic, what a find. :occasion14: Would love to know who wore that around their neck and when! I bet there's more too!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fantastic, what a find. Would love to know who wore that around their neck and when! I bet there's more too!!

The only problem is i have to wait for more of the yard to unfreeze the ground is still very hard, I had to chip this one out steadily and carefully because i didnt want to damage it..

Upvote 0

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might check to see if there were old schools in your area that had some kind of "miner" nickname or mascot.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a rock hammer in a gold pan?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might check to see if there were old schools in your area that had some kind of "miner" nickname or mascot.

There are no schools close by but there was an old railroad here in Brookline. We have found other items in the attic like old railway car jacks and tongs for moving blocks of ice onto the train cars. Im going to take this tag to the local historical society and see if they have or have seen anything similiar.

Upvote 0

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a souvenier miniature gold pan. Like something that you would get at a gold panning consession or GPAA gold show.
There might even have been small flakes of gold cemented in the depressions that you call rocks.
Many of the old time gold pans were made of copper so they wouldn't rust.

Very KEWL for a MD find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a souvenier miniature gold pan. Like something that you would get at a gold panning consession or GPAA gold show.
There might even have been small flakes of gold cemented in the depressions that you call rocks.
Many of the old time gold pans were made of copper so they wouldn't rust.

Very KEWL for a MD find!

No idea on an approximate date?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread