BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this about a week ago and haven't been able to find anything online about it. It appears to have some Asian writing on it, but I can't make heads or tails of what language its in. I nicked it pretty badly with my shovel while birthing it from the earth, which is why there's a small bright copper color next to the oldened patina. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I dug it by an old fishing spot on a river in California, so unfortunately it won't quite be Ming Dynasty, but it's still kinda cool to me.

WP_20180319_18_35_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180319_18_36_06_Pro.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of Chinese immigrants helped build the railroads and panned for gold.
Keep your eyes open for the yellow stuff around that river.
Congrats on your find.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very cool find, and it would not surprise me to find out it is from the "Gold Rush" era, when thousands of Chinese flooded into California. I suggest you look up a chapter of the Chinese American Club in your area, and have someone there look at it and tell you what it says. :hello2:

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with ATW, this ring likely belonged to one of the Chinese labors working in your California gold fields. :thumbsup:
If it were my ring, I'd be giving it a 'controlled tumble' (checking it every hour) in 3/4" polished gravel, warm water and dish soap.

Tumbling this piece of brass it will subtly bring out the details, it will also help soften and blend the nick from your "shovel while birthing it from the earth". :laughing7:

Very nice find,
Dave

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Definitely a good luck ring

Attachments

• good luck ring.jpg
    good luck ring.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a good luck ring

Hey, I think you nailed it! The writing on the ring in your picture even has some of the same symbols as the ring I found. That's why I like Treasure Net so much, helpful people who can identify almost anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of Chinese immigrants helped build the railroads and panned for gold.
Keep your eyes open for the yellow stuff around that river.
Congrats on your find.

That is a very cool find, and it would not surprise me to find out it is from the "Gold Rush" era, when thousands of Chinese flooded into California. I suggest you look up a chapter of the Chinese American Club in your area, and have someone there look at it and tell you what it says. :hello2:

I agree with ATW, this ring likely belonged to one of the Chinese labors working in your California gold fields. :thumbsup:
If it were my ring, I'd be giving it a 'controlled tumble' (checking it every hour) in 3/4" polished gravel, warm water and dish soap.

Tumbling this piece of brass it will subtly bring out the details, it will also help soften and blend the nick from your "shovel while birthing it from the earth". :laughing7:

Very nice find,
Dave

Boy, I never thought my ring could possibly be that old as to go back to the railroad building days. I thought maybe it was a WW2 or Korean War souvenir that couldn't be older than mid century at latest. I'll be happy with whatever it is though, its the first non junko ring I've ever found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find,
Dave

That sounds like a good plan for restoring it, thanks for the advice man. But I'm curious, what makes you think the ring is brass? It may be, I'd just assumed it was copper because of the scratchy part where I uncovered some of its original skin tone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread