obediah said:
It looks to me the feeBay fees consume ALL of the profit and then some on the copper pennies sold on Ebay.
Then let me say again that it is not that way. :-) You can sell a $50 bag right now at about $75 - $80. I know that fees are not ruinning about $30 for an $80 purchase, so there is still MUCH profit to be made.
When I was selling last year at $130 per $50 bag, I was making about 140% NET on the bags sold. Over $70 profit on $50 sold. After ebay fees AND paypal fees. ANd the buyer paid the shipping, in the flat rate box. So yes there are profits to be made NOW, and BETTER profits to be made when copper gets back up closer to $4 per pound and the prices on ebay go back above $100 per $50 bag. That's when I'll sell another ton or two of copper pennies. :-)
MTS said "But counting my time I only made about $5 an hour" At this level, probably true. Especially if you are sorting by hand. But when you get $100 per $50 bag in the near future again, on a net basis, that is a $50 profit. It takes you about 4 boxes to get that much in copper (It tkaes me 5 boxes, but you get more copper than I do, so I"m using your numbers for your hourly wages) Plus the wheats that are not included in this calculation. It takes me about 2 hours to do 4 boxes. It should take you the same when you get a Ryedale. That includes unwrapping and throwing into the Ryedale at the same time, then sorting the copper for the extra wheats. (And watching the reject bin as you go, not the unwrapping with my eyes, so you catch some older wheats that go into the reject tray. I do NOT run them through twice like some do, as I want to get on to other boxes.) Take 2 hours and make $50. Ohhh, add another 30 minutes for putting the auction up, sending it out, etc. Now you are at 2.5 hours, for about $50 profit. About $20 per hour. Kinda cook for "spare time" activities. (Take away the cost of the ryedale and replacement parts for it as it wears out, which parts DO, plus the minor electric used to run it, and maybe you are down to $15 per hour. Still not bad though)