As I travel for work I hit thrift stores, antique shops & pawn brokers looking for treasure. I love it when you see in an antique shop those glass covered trays and boxes full of small things such as stickpins, tokens and old masonic and sorority pins, as often those are unmarked solid gold. Son of a gun if I didn't see one of these items your describing here some time ago and I saw it several times revisiting the same large antique mall it was at. I just thought it was someone's homemade stickpin, made from an old penny and not worth much. The place I believe I saw it closed, but many of the vendors had moved to another location which now open. I'll have to search that place next time I'm in the area, but as many years as it's been the odds of that piece still being around are pretty slim I'm thinking.