What's new

Corks?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
I have resently dug some smaller bottles, 2 of which still had corks in them. (I will be posting the bottles and story when I can take pics) Are the corks worth something more, like add to the value of the bottle?
 
No, simple cork stoppers add nothing to the value or esthetic appeal of an old bottle. For one thing, there is no certainty that the cork is the original cork since they come in standard sizes (get 'em at your local hardware store). For another thing, the cork you dig with a bottle seldom looks as it did when the bottle was discarded. I remove and discard corks which remind me of big raisins from 1720s onion bottles.

Go to a bottle show and see how many corks are retained by the collectors who have displays.

Now, if the "cork" is other than a simple stopper - say a cork-wrapped glass plug - by all means save it if you can.


mellinsfood.webp​
 

Attachments

  • mellinsfood.webp
    mellinsfood.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 143

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom