Could Tayopa's True Location Have Been In Nueva Viscaya

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
There are times I wonder if one of the three Tayopas could have been located in Nueva Viscaya...We may never know...

This could explain why it has remained lost for so long...:laughing7:

Ed T

:laughing7: Haha nope. Do a little research and you will see, Tayopa is and always was up in the barranca country along Sonora/Chihuahua borders. There are MANY lost mines and even another entire lost Real of mines in old Mexico, maybe it would pay to research the history of Mexico and find out about some of those other lost mines that are LESS well known. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PS if memory serves the other lost Real of minas was named Cienega? Correction welcome, thanks in advance.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't even spell it right...lol...It should be Nueva Vizcaya...Maybe one day I'll make my way to Durango again.

Heck...I was planning on making it to Reno month but it looks as IF I will not be doing that...There is always next year...Or the year after that...Or the year after that...hahaha...By the looks of google earth things have changed quite a bit since the 90's...I doubt I'll ever find a certain spot again even IF I tried...Oh well...Life will go on...

Ed T

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day!!!The universe will align and Tayopa will see the light of day...

Ed T

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
One day!!!The universe will align and Tayopa will see the light of day...

Ed T

I would respectfully disagree with you on this one point, for I am convinced that our mutual amigo Real de Tayopa has already discovered the original Tayopa, the one discovered in 1602 and first apparently owned and worked by Franciscans later replaced by Jesuits, and eventually losing the site entirely due to Indian troubles.

On the other hand, there are in fact several different sites named Tayopa, Taiope, Tayope, Tyopa, Tiopa. Teopa and Teopi and various other obvious European attempts to try to put into spelling a native Amerindian name, located in several different sites in Mexico and not at all close to each other. Heck there is even a story of a lost 'Tayope' mine in the Superstitions, though I have only found a single source that referred to it. Plus, Durango has its own rich crop of long lost silver and even a few gold mines, of which only one that I have ever seen mentioned as being found again and that was apparently lost again by the 1920s. So I can readily believe that you have found a long-lost Spanish or Jesuit or Franciscan or Dominican mine in Durango, though I would be forced to doubt that it is the same Tayopa found by Joseph Curry which has a number of points in favor of its identity - namely and not limited to:

It is three days toward the sunset from the Mesa of the Bell Maker
It is right on the border country of the two states of Chihuahua and Sonora, though in 1602 this would have been technically in neither one as the state lines have shifted several times;
There are at least seventeen hard rock mines in a ring around the site of the church and little settlement
There is a gold placer at one end of the district
among the list of points to check off.

I also have to admit that I did not immediately believe that Joseph Curry had indeed found the famous Tayopa, when I first encountered him online I gave him rather a hard time and pushed him to provide evidences in support of the contention. I have known two other fellows whom both have claimed to have found "the" Tayopa, and am convinced that they did not have the original Tayopa on several grounds. One of these two has the second Tayopa (IMHO) as it has only two silver - lead mines, quite rich and with ruins of a small church including a small bell with the name Tayopa inscribed, which however does not prove that bell was actually cast at the site as the Tayopa silver bells were very famous in their day for the sweet and rich tones. In fact the Russian churches in Alaska and in Northern California were trading with the Spaniards to obtain these bells for their own churchs, and supposedly one of those Tayopa bells was still in the Russian Orthodox church in the former Russian capital of Sitka, Alaska at least until a fire burned the building down some time ago.

Anyway I still hope you will post some of your photos of your site, if you can remove anything that might give away the exact location as I have no desire to cause you grief with a claimjumper.

Coffee?
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would respectfully disagree with you on this one point, for I am convinced that our mutual amigo Real de Tayopa has already discovered the original Tayopa, the one discovered in 1602 and first apparently owned and worked by Franciscans later replaced by Jesuits, and eventually losing the site entirely due to Indian troubles.

On the other hand, there are in fact several different sites named Tayopa, Taiope, Tayope, Tyopa, Tiopa. Teopa and Teopi and various other obvious European attempts to try to put into spelling a native Amerindian name, located in several different sites in Mexico and not at all close to each other. Heck there is even a story of a lost 'Tayope' mine in the Superstitions, though I have only found a single source that referred to it. Plus, Durango has its own rich crop of long lost silver and even a few gold mines, of which only one that I have ever seen mentioned as being found again and that was apparently lost again by the 1920s. So I can readily believe that you have found a long-lost Spanish or Jesuit or Franciscan or Dominican mine in Durango, though I would be forced to doubt that it is the same Tayopa found by Joseph Curry which has a number of points in favor of its identity - namely and not limited to:

It is three days toward the sunset from the Mesa of the Bell Maker
It is right on the border country of the two states of Chihuahua and Sonora, though in 1602 this would have been technically in neither one as the state lines have shifted several times;
There are at least seventeen hard rock mines in a ring around the site of the church and little settlement
There is a gold placer at one end of the district
among the list of points to check off.

I also have to admit that I did not immediately believe that Joseph Curry had indeed found the famous Tayopa, when I first encountered him online I gave him rather a hard time and pushed him to provide evidences in support of the contention. I have known two other fellows whom both have claimed to have found "the" Tayopa, and am convinced that they did not have the original Tayopa on several grounds. One of these two has the second Tayopa (IMHO) as it has only two silver - lead mines, quite rich and with ruins of a small church including a small bell with the name Tayopa inscribed, which however does not prove that bell was actually cast at the site as the Tayopa silver bells were very famous in their day for the sweet and rich tones. In fact the Russian churches in Alaska and in Northern California were trading with the Spaniards to obtain these bells for their own churchs, and supposedly one of those Tayopa bells was still in the Russian Orthodox church in the former Russian capital of Sitka, Alaska at least until a fire burned the building down some time ago.

Anyway I still hope you will post some of your photos of your site, if you can remove anything that might give away the exact location as I have no desire to cause you grief with a claimjumper.

Coffee?
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

I am not much of a photographer Oro...I did not take any pictures of the journey to said area...And I don't know IF I ever will return there...It is a pain in the AZ to get there...

Real de Tayopa may have found one of the Tayopas...But I believe that I have found one of them as well...I think I could give Don Jose a run for his money...Who knows??? Maybe one day I'll get off of my couch and try to return to the area...

Ed T

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been stated that Tayopa consists of 17 mines...Wouldn't it be something IF it has anything to do with Revelation 13:1...Seven heads and ten horns???I doubt such a thing is possible...Forget that I even mentioned it...The good book has so many cryptic passages that we may never know what they are all about...I wish I had spent more time at my little locale...Maybe I could have found another 4 or 5 mines IF I looked harder...

Ed T

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VE POSTED ON THE 13 MINES ON THE TAYOPA COMPLED, DISTANCES FROM THE DOOR OF THE CAPILLA

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF Tayopa were the end of the trail of the Cursum Perficio...Or the one and only Santa Fe...What should one search for IF they have stumbled upon said site???

I am sure that Oro or Marius may know the answer to this question...And IF this is the case...Is there really a treasure associated with said area???

Shoot...I still claim to have ore from the corazon of the Cursum Perficio...lol...I am sure that there is one member on this site that can confirm my suspicions...hehehe...

Ed T:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a silly little poem I wrote about the Cursum Perficio...

Created By Ancient Men (Tanka)

I've been to the moon
And I have walked on the sun
I'm no astronaut
Yet I've been to the heavens
Created by ancient men

Edwin Tanguma 3/6/2021

Oh well...Maybe one day I might try to retrace my steps that led to said place...lol...Only time will tell...

Ed T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread