What's new

Could use some help

SouthTexasFinds

Full Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2013
Messages
189
Reaction score
198
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always assumed these were fossilized oyster shells, but not so sure anymore. I keep finding thicker, and larger pieces. Could use any help. Found the first one with an Native American tool, and the second with a arrowhead laying against it. The first almost appears worked to a blade. And ideas or input greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking


1.View attachment 967512View attachment 967513 image.webpimage.webpimage.webp
2.View attachment 967514image.webpimage.webpimage.webp
3.image.webpimage.webpimage.webp

The last one is the first full one I have found. I had tried to get any mud/dirt out of it but it has mostly all turned into sand/mud stone.


I also found a few chucks of fossilized sediment with these shells attached and included if that would help at all
 
Last edited:
Agreed they look like oysters, only much bigger. If I had to guess the big broken one must have been at LEAST 10in wide/long. I have never seen an oyster close to that big. Although I guess they could have been that big way back when?
 
Last edited:
I have found oysters that big in the Hood Canal, WA. Monsters! Best for oyster stew.
 
Nice Find! I have found similar Mussel/Oyster fossil shells here in Montana near the Musselshell River, (From which it gets it's name). When you find them they appear to matted/sandwiched together in thick layers. It is quite possible that very large ones did exist.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom