What's new

Counterfeit Seated Quarter Cleaned

Metal Illness

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
612
Reaction score
722
Golden Thread
0
Location
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 4 years of detecting I finally found what I thought was my First Seated Quarter. It was my second surface find of the day and only my second surface find to date. (field site hunting) I only started this type of hunting in December 2014. I guess I knew pretty soon after finding it something was up, because I've never found a "Green" Silver Coin before. Well turns out it's a counterfeit. Copper base metal that was obviously plated back in the day. Although I'm still looking for my first Seated Quarter, I think this is very cool and probably harder to come by than a genuine Seated Coin! I went from dissapointed to very Happy with this find! Thanks for looking, Bill
 

Attachments

  • Counterfeit Seated Quarter Obverse .webp
    Counterfeit Seated Quarter Obverse .webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Counterfeit Seated Quarter Obverse.webp
    Counterfeit Seated Quarter Obverse.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Counterfeit Seated Quarter Insuti.webp
    Counterfeit Seated Quarter Insuti.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Counterfeit Seated Quarter Reverse .webp
    Counterfeit Seated Quarter Reverse .webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Counterfeit Seated Quarter Reverse.webp
    Counterfeit Seated Quarter Reverse.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 112
very disappointing in one way and yet not, still a rare thing to find and still history
 
MI,

Cool find.....not something that's found everyday...

Regards + HH

Bill
 
That is cool as hell. Way better than an real one in my book.
 
Yup, very cool. Definitely a keeper.
Do you change coils when hunting fields?
Peace ✌
 
Yup, very cool. Definitely a keeper.
Do you change coils when hunting fields?
Peace ✌

Yep Kid, I use my smaller 6x8 dd coil. Covers less area but is easier to use among the corn and bean stubble.
 
Congratulations! I think this coin is very interesting.
 
I agree with the notion that "counterfeit" in this instance is more unique than the real thing. But, why would anyone bother to counterfeit a quarter?
luvsdux
 
I agree with the notion that "counterfeit" in this instance is more unique than the real thing. But, why would anyone bother to counterfeit a quarter?
luvsdux
You have to consider the time period this was being passed as currency. Maybe a half cents worth of copper plated with a little Silver plate and "Walaaa" you just increased the value of a half cents worth of copper 50 times! That's why. I also bet the person that "holed" the coin had no clue it was a Counterfeit until he saw the copper and then probably realized he couldn't pass it on.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom